1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Top 10 Albums?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by shoreman1782, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

k.d. lang's new CD is good.

2. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I am still trying to catch up to all the good shit that was put out in the 1980s.

Have you been making your way forwards or backwards chronologically, or are you not really concerned with that? My 'repertoire' consisted mostly of 90s stuff, and now I'm finding myself in the 60s and 70s trying to push my way from garage rock to protopunk through to new wave or something.

3. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

^ I am working forwards, really, from American Roots Music to the present. The 1980s has me bogged down, it just seems like music exploded in that decade. I just picked up Arthur Russell's World of Echo last night, 1985-86---it sounds like the future; only cello, voice and hand percussion, but it sounds like MBV x Nick Drake.

The Dennis Wilson PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE reissue this year was very well done. I got it on (blue) vinyl. I had heard boots of this record; it is nice to finally have this in print.

4. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

^ I am working forwards, really, from American Roots Music to the present. The 1980s has me bogged down, it just seems like music exploded in that decade. I just picked up Arthur Russell's World of Echo last night, 1985-86---it sounds like the future; only cello, voice and hand percussion, but it sounds like MBV x Nick Drake.

The Dennis Wilson PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE reissue this year was very well done. I got it on (blue) vinyl. I had heard boots of this record; it is nice to finally have this in print.

Both of those albums are more interesting than anything I heard released this year. Russell's disco cuts can be pretty wild too.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

^ I have The World of Arthur Russell, which largely consists of his disco tracks, with only a smattering of the W.O.E. vocal/cello songs. To hear a whole album of these otherworldly Echo arrangements is something else. Have you seen the new Arthur Russell doc that is making the rounds? I missed the showing in Philly, sadly. Also, there's this brand spanking new Arthur Russell comp that collects his folk/pop tracks. It is supposed to be the most accessible collection to date.

6. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I have not seen the Russell film, but hopefully it will come out on DVD at some point. "World of Arthur Russell" covers most of his disco 'hits' although there are many others too.

7. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

I thought of one! The One Day As A Lion EP!

8. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Some of my favorites:

Fur by Blizten Trapper (Probably my favorite of the year)
    Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay (Although I got bored of it quickly)
    Day & Age by The Killers (I'm kind of addicted to spaceman at the moment)
    Oracular Spectacular by MGMT (Electric Feel and Weekend Wars FTW!)
    Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust by Sigur Rós
    Paper Trail by T.I.
    The Stand Ins by Okkervil River

9. briancl

briancl Senior member

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular got old quick
    I always found Vampire Weekend slightly lacking
    Coldplay I didn't enjoy

Portishead - Three was good
    Jamie Lidell - Jim was excellent
    Hot Chip - Made in the Dark was decent, but not their best effort. It did grow on me, though.
    The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me was good, but not really "Best of" good.
    Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors could only make "Best of" list because it was a weak year.

Overall, this was a good year to dig in the archives and find some old tunes. Anyone else notice that this wasn't only a down year for music, but films were generally bad, too?

10. breakz

breakz Senior member

Anyone else notice that this wasn't only a down year for music, but films were generally bad, too?

There are some solid films coming out now at year's end. Slumdog Millionaire is one of them.

Anyway, I forgot a few albums:
    Jamie Lidell - Jim was an improvement on Multiply
    Deerhunter - Microcastle has stuck with me a lot
    Q-Tip - The Renaissance is also damn good

I also discovered Herbie Hancock this year, so its been pretty good for me. Can't think of anything else for now.

11. lithium180

lithium180 Senior member

1. Favorites:

M83 saturdays=youth - the fact that I listened to this so many times even though the lyrics are so gutwrenchingly awful convinces me that this is the best sounding album of the year. very ambitious, BIG music that he almost pulled off.

Paavojarju - Laulu Laakson Kukista - I loved this one.
    Jonny Greenwood - There Will be Blood
    Spiritualized - Songs in A&E
    Vampire Weekend - Listened to this end on end for only one week. It was a good week though.
    Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna - Whoa!
    Lindstrom - Where you go, I go too

2. Am enjoying but need more time to digest:

Eine Kleine Nacht Musik - S/t
    Hauschka - Ferdorf

3. Disappointed me:

Portishead - Third
    Walkmen - You and Me (This was really boring compared to Bows + Arrows)

12. phildo

phildo Senior member

1. Women - Women (Kickass indie rock from calgary, alberta)
    2. Portishead - Third
    3. M83 - Saturdays = Youth (interesting shoegaze-pop that takes you back to highschool)
    4. Hilotrons - Happymatic (Ottawa band that makes fun dancy new wave inspired pop)
    5. HEALTH - DISCO (Techno remixes for your underground club)
    6. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles (Google the video for Parisian Goldfish... words cannot describe it)
    7. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Enjoyable warm easy listening music)
    8. Ellen Allien - Sool (Best post-human record 2008)
    9. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (Not much musical talent here but really fun and addictive)
    10. The Black Angles - Directions to See a Ghost (Throwback psychedelic rock)

13. lithium180

lithium180 Senior member

1. Women - Women (Kickass indie rock from calgary, alberta)
    2. Portishead - Third
    3. M83 - Saturdays = Youth (interesting shoegaze-pop that takes you back to highschool)
    4. Hilotrons - Happymatic (Ottawa band that makes fun dancy new wave inspired pop)
    5. HEALTH - DISCO (Techno remixes for your underground club)
    6. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles (Google the video for Parisian Goldfish... words cannot describe it)
    7. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Enjoyable warm easy listening music)
    9. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (Not much musical talent here but really fun and addictive)
    10. The Black Angles - Directions to See a Ghost (Throwback psychedelic rock)

Thanks for posting these. I will def. check some of them out!

14. briancl

briancl Senior member

I also enjoyed this.. but I find it difficult to rate some of these just-ok albums as this years best. In a different year, they wouldn't make the list.

TV on the Radio - Dear Science is also just-ok.

15. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

M83- Saturdays = Youth.
    Somewhat into Cut Copy.
    One of my favorite albums I picked up was "Sebastian Tellier- Sexuality"