• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2008 Audi A4....sigh....

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I'm sure it'll be a beast but it's really ugly, will probably priced way too high, and loses the practicality of the other boy racer cars with four doors and awd.

I will be trading in my 335 or M3 on a 135, I am currently 2nd on the order list once the dealer gets order allocation. I think the demographic will be older than the turbo awd Japanese cars, especially considering the car will most likely be higher priced for the 135 version and will not come with a 747 rear wing and several hood scoops up front. I plan on ordering with a manual ******....I think it will be a great driver's car and help them get back to their roots.

As far as Audi's new A4 design, I think they are going in the wrong direction. I have always preferred BMWs rear wheel drive layout to an awd car, but Audi's A4 minimalistic exterior design has always been beautiful and didn't age like most other autos. Like most every other car, the new Audi design is over-styled.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. My only problem with the A4 is that it is basically the same car as the VW Passat and costs more. So, why not just get a VW?

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I like it. My only problem with the A4 is that it is basically the same car as the VW Passat and costs more. So, why not just get a VW?

Because a Passat is a VW? But lets be serious, I do understand people that don't find the A4 exciting and/or interesting.. but a Passat? Come on.

raphael

Reaction score
Doesn't do anything for me. Now the Lexus IS350...

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This argument is tired and outdated.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
M-B gets credit for the F1 inspired front ends with the openings below the bumper line.

Bangled-BMW gets blamed for flamed sides, weight headlight-turn signal clusters, and bustled butts.

Audi can take credit for the bass mouth look (see also the 2008+ Mitsu Lancer/Evo)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-conte...96&idg=1&idi=3

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed, within 1 ½ years of ownership and only 14K miles, from a car which I broke-in for the first 1000 miles, garaged everyday, at work, school and home and I cleaned almost religiously, both inside and out, the car has had the following:

Engine was running rich
Stereo system completely head unit crapped out, entire new head unit was replaced
Center consol started pealing, new center consol needed to be installed
Front tires need to be replaced (even though they were rotated 3 times)
2 tires had flats
And apparently my brake pads are at 5 mm, both front AND rear! (I have 17K on the odometer at the moment)

Next time I’m getting either a BMW or a Mini, at least they will cover the damn brake pads!
baldy[1].gif

Jon.

Every time I read a story like this, I swing more towards the Acura TL instead of the A4 for my next car.

WN2

Reaction score
I hated the new BMW 3 and I hate this one too. For same reasons.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Every time I read a story like this, I swing more towards the Acura TL instead of the A4 for my next car.

I too was looking at the TL; however, after reading carsurvey.org and seeing that several owners were on their 2nd and 3rd transmission with the Acura I am avoiding that car at all costs.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is what I just posted on an Audi forum...buyer beware:

So, my car is almost 21 months old, has 17,486 miles (thus on average I put on less than 1000 miles a month) on the odometer, has always been garaged at home and work, and has been hand washed and cleaned both inside and out. I broke the car in for the first 1000 miles and never do hard accelerations or hit the brakes aggressively.

So far the dealer has had to:

1) Adjust the alignment 4 times
2) Repair the glove box light and hinge
3) Replace the stereo head unit since both the cassette player and CD changer broke
4) Replace the whole center consol since it was pealing

I have beige leather seats and within the first month a brown mark appeared on the drivers seat back, which the dealer was unwilling to either fix or replace the seat, luckily, I was able to clean it to a point that you would have to know what to look for in order to notice it.

Even though I rotated the tires every 5,000 miles (ContiProContacts), at about 13,500 miles the front tires were almost gone and I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta ASX (so far so good!), and left the rears alone, but now at 17,500 miles I ordered 2 more ASX's since the rears are completely worn out as well.

When I took the car in for the 15,000 scheduled service, they told me that both the front and rear pads were at 5mm and I would need to replace them before the next service interval (25,000).

And oh yes, I've had three flat tires with the Conti's and the last one took Audi roadside assistance 2 hours to come out to me, since it only took the roadside assistance subcontractor 10 minutes to come out to me after he got the call and it took Audi an hour and 50 minutes to call the subcontractor.
Jon.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briancl wrote: This argument is tired and outdated.

Am I missing something? Are you saying that the A4 is NOT the same as the Passat? If so, then your reply was somewhat rude. You could have simply corrected my misunderstanding. If I'm correct, then your reply is without merit.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briancl wrote: This argument is tired and outdated.

Am I missing something? Are you saying that the A4 is NOT the same as the Passat? If so, then your reply was somewhat rude. You could have simply corrected my misunderstanding. If I'm correct, then your reply is without merit.

It is intellectually irresponsible to assume two cars are the same just because the makes of each are owned by the same company. I honestly don't know if you are unobservant, or extremely mislead to believe that the cars are the same. Saying the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are the same is reasonable because they are 99% identical outside of appearance, but saying that two cars that are not even close to the same in any major category (appearance, engine, suspension, transmission, options, market segment, cost) is flat out wrong. And where there are shared components, they are implemented differently. For example, one of five engines are shared, but they are mounted differently and mated to different transmissions.

It's like saying the 3-series and 5-series, or the 350Z and G35 are the same car, although those cars share more than the A4 and Passat.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briancl: I didn't assume anything. I was informed that they were the same car. You are getting way too defensive about this and way too rude. You could have simply corrected my misunderstanding but chose to include derogatory remarks.

BTW, what exactly are the differences b/w the 350Z and the G35. I've also been under the impression that they were nearly identical. While you're at it, please explain the differences b/w the Lexus ES 350 and the Toyota Camry. And, please, no derogatory remarks.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, what exactly are the differences b/w the 350Z and the G35. I've also been under the impression that they were nearly identical. While you're at it, please explain the differences b/w the Lexus ES 350 and the Toyota Camry. And, please, no derogatory remarks.
The G35 is heavier and luxury-oriented. The 350Z, on the other hand, is geared more toward the track and leaner in terms of weight and amenities. While the G35 shares many components with the 350Z, it drives nothing like latter.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briancl: I didn't assume anything. I was informed that they were the same car. You are getting way too defensive about this and way too rude. You could have simply corrected my misunderstanding but chose to include derogatory remarks.

You assumed what other people said was true. Instead of regurgitating what other people tell you, learn for yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads