1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2007 S-Class: what do you think of the design?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Apr 13, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

i don't know what car circles you hang in.. but in mine, no one has any reason to refer to a mercury.

Indeed, I can't remember last time anyone mentioned a Mercury, IRL.

Jon.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

The first time I saw the new S-class was in NYC on the UWS. I looked inside and George Clooney was in the driver's seat. Then I realized it was all hooked up to a truck and cameras and that they were going to be filming a movie.

3. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

Do you call wagons "˜estates' or a hood a "˜bonnet'?

Jon.

thankfully i don't

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I think it's ugly. I much prefer the old one. Seems like both merc and bmw have taken a step back in exterior design recently.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i don't know what car circles you hang in.. but in mine, no one has any reason to refer to a mercury.
    the mercurys from the late '40s/early '50s. check them out. [​IMG]

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yeah, matador, there never was a better 'sled than a merc. Coeval with us, several people I know drive Mercurys, but my circles aren't rareified.

Regards,
    Huntsman

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

people I know drive Mercurys,
    In the name that is everything good about humanity, WHY? Jon.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

At first, I hated what I saw from the pictures.

However, I saw a few of them around my city this weekend, and they aren't all that bad. I still prefer the last generation's body shape a bit more, though.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

At first, I hated what I saw from the pictures.

However, I saw a few of them around my city this weekend, and they aren't all that bad. I still prefer the last generation's body shape a bit more, though.

I understand what they were trying to achieve, and even though the arches are way too flared, it still looks a lot better than the 7-series.

But personally, I'm more worried about this move towards knob-less shifters and computer screens for gauges than the flared arches.

Jon.

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Yeah, matador, there never was a better 'sled than a merc. Coeval with us, several people I know drive Mercurys, but my circles aren't rareified. Regards, Huntsman
    i hate mercurys, and i don't know anyone who has one, but a 'merc' is still a mercury. the last cool mercury was made in the early '50s. the picture i posted was of a 1949 model, but there are much better examples. p.s. what does 'coeval' mean?

11. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

in car circles, "merc" is short for mercury, a division of the ford motor company

Sorry. I can't imagine Mercury being worthy of an abbreviation. Especially one it stole from one of the oldest and until the last 15 years finest automakers in history. Especially the old boats, which have driving dynamics inferior to anything offered today. (Unlike many of the Italian and British cars of the day.) Though in fairness the new Mays/Thomas designed Mercury sedan looks much crisper than the snoozy, Detroit-like boat anchor that is pictured in the first post in this thread.

The last Merc to be worth a damn from a driver's perspective was probably the W124. Even today I wouldn't mind driving a 300CE with the 1992-5 (maybe 1991-5) twincam straight six and the Sportline suspension package. Or using a 300TE as a family hauler. From an appliance perspective the A-Class is pretty neat, but pity about the (lack of) driving dynamics there.