• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2007-2008 College Football Season Kicks Off

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the way that Rutgers looked last night. Ray Rice is running the ball as good as ever, Mike Teel looks a lot more confident than he has in the past, and both Underwood and Britt made some amazing catches. I think a BCS bowl is definitely a huge possibility this year.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They played Buffalo, proves nothing.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but I think that it gives them the confidence to know that they are just picking up where they left off. Just a couple of years ago no game was a given with Rutgers. There were seasons that Rutgers went with 2 wins all season long - and now people say "it was only Buffalo."

bullethead

Reaction score
I just thank God the season has started.

College football is my favorite sport, hands down.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I am sick of hearing ESPN hand the title to USC before they even play!!! Go Blue!!!!

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I can't believe Michigan lost to an unranked team. The season is allready over!!!!

tsloop

Reaction score
Yea, I can't believe that happened, and its only the first weekend.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gators looked very good before the weather delay (as they should have against Western Kentucky). I expect them to be in the National Championship mix late into the season.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't. They really don't have the defense this year. Their offense (and tebow) will be better than last year and leak no doubt, but with their mediocre defense it'll be rough. They're going to be involved in a lot of close sec games this season, and i don't think they'll be able to get out of their schedule (including the sec title game if they get there) with less than 2 losses.

That being said, tebow looked really good. It was western kentucky but his mechanics and touch were good. We'll have to see how he plays under pressure though, as western kentucky couldn't even sniff the inside of the gator's passing pocket let alone get near tebow, but other teams are going to be able to get in there and then we'll see how good tebow is.

I hate the gators with a passion though. Root against them every game. I had a really obnoxious gator fan cousin growing up and ever since i was little i rooted against them because i hated him being all smug about it. That didn't change when i came here as 98% of gator fans are complete assholes. I think the only college in the nation with more annoying fans, might be Tennessee. Duke basketball fans are rabid, but at least they're usually knowledgable about the team. UF fans know absolutely nothing except that the "GATORS RULE!!!!". Every student/alumni/fan is convinced that every gator player is the best in the nation.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
I can't believe Michigan lost to an unranked team. The season is allready over!!!!

Michigan is 0-3 since Bo died.
plain.gif

koji

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This hating your own team, I do not understand. I wasn't a Gator fan growing up either, even though I went to hoops games there since the 3rd grade (to see Kentucky play). But when you go there, attend classes, and get a degree with their name at the top, that is your team.

I don't understand people who primarily root for a school they didn't go to either. To me the entire point of college athletics, besides appreciating the competition from an objective standpoint (as I do the NFL), is to have some pride in the school that educated you and essentially provided you with the skills to be a productive part of society.

And I think the way you describe Gator fans applies to the majority of the SEC, if not all the power conferences and the vast majority of college football. You've just had far more exposure to the Gator variety because of where you went to school and where you grew up.

In regards to UF's defense, we still have a bunch of athletes on that side of the ball that might matriculate into a force by the end of the year. And the offense is good enough to win some games on it's own in a way that it wasn't last year (though we should credit Leak for some late game play that kept us in the title hunt). Time will tell, but I don't see many really powerhouse teams this year. Virtually no top teams returned everybody, save Michigan, and of course they're done.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I just think there are enough quality teams in the SEC to the point where UF will be involved in a lot of close games. They might be able to pull off some close wins, but it's just a matter of how many times they can do it. They'll be good and in the mix though.

I'm more of a professional sports person rather than college sports. This is a completely different topic, but i do get a bit frustrated at times by the lack of skill and competition. As far as disliking UF sports, i don't see the big deal. If you grow up hating and rooting against a specific team and then go there because it's the best school you can attend for the money (i planned on splurging for grad school rather than undergrad). I don't believe that blind devotion really means anything and "school pride" is a somewhat meaningless concept. Most people could care less about college football, but it's a social gathering (like high school dances) and an excuse to drink, go wild, and hang out with friends. It's basically like a daytime bar with football instead of dancing.

I still take pride in my education and school from that standpoint. I won't get into how mismanaged my specific college (liberal arts and sciences as i'm a history major) is and the problems it has. I'm friends with a few teachers and they are trying to get out of UF in the next year and a few bright history teachers have already left. I appreciate a few of the exceptional teachers, books i've read and the general growing process i've undergone during my (almost) 4 years here more so than "GO UF!!!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics