• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2005 volvo s40 T5

mikeman

Reaction score
So i bought the volvo.I spent a few thousand and got a warranty,its good until like may of 2013 or 100k miles.Car is very sweet.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
So i bought the volvo.I spent a few thousand and got a warranty,its good until like may of 2013 or 100k miles.Car is very sweet.

Good for you. My wife had a turbo S40 for a couple years around 2001. For the few years of the lease, it was a solid car. Seemed much more solid than other sedans that size.

Asterix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinpba
Audis are junk, that's why they sell for so low, volkswagens aren't that expensive to begin with and are more in the honda price range without the reliability, Saabs are american and just not that popular with the younger crowd (read people who would most likely buy a used luxury car) and Volvos still are seen as more of a safety-mobile than a luxury car. But they are quite nice. See if the car does still have the factory warranty. If it does and maybe even if it doesn't talk to the local volvo dealer about getting it CPO'd. It'll cost you about 2500 I think but will be good til 100k or 2015. You can also probably buy a decent warranty from the dealer. For a car that's only costing you 12k anyway this wouldn't be bad idea..
..........and your comment in bold is based on what? Experience? Hearsay?

Asterix

Reaction score

Smart chap. Congrats!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Audis are junk, that's why they sell for so low.

I'm also curious about where you heard this. Have you ever even owned one? My fiance has a TT that she's owned for 3 years now and it's never given us any problems. The water temp. gauge wanders, even though we've replaced the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor, but that's just one of the few quirks TTs have, and every car has their quirks/things that should be watched and on every make and model they are different.

Congrats! I have an '01 S60 and it's been a great car. When your warranty runs out, I suggest finding a knowledgable neighborhood mechanic that does import work. It'll save you a great deal of money from continuing to go to the stealership for service.

justinpba

Reaction score
Yeah I had an A4 that had a ton of problems. Everything that could break on this car did, but normally I'd have thought it was just a lemon. When I asked some questions about things like the window and door controls chipping, the ignition coils going out, the glovebox door breaking and the seats fading, on the Audi forum Audizine, I was told it was all common stuff. On the BMWs and Volvo that I owned, this stuff just didn't happen. I've also been told that Audis are great if you lease them, because for the first few years they're top notch, but fall apart after that. As far as luxury cars go, Audis, in my opinion are junk.

mikeman

Reaction score
Well this is all good too know,thanks.I thought to myself that the warranty was nod a good idea,since it was pretty expensive,but then realized that if something does break,im covered.Hopefully i can keep it for a decently long time,and hopefully it doesnt need any major repairs after my warranty runs out.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I rolled it on an icy back road, but my roomate at the time liked it so much he bought the same car and has had his for like 150k now. As far as maintenance goes, they're pretty dependable (how many old volvos do you still see on the road even if they are owned by ford now) and the maintenance costs weren't bad, much cheaper than my audi or beamer were. Hope this helps.
Their reliability improved because of Ford, the same can somewhat be said about Mazda.

Asterix

Reaction score
Yeah I had an A4 that had a ton of problems. Everything that could break on this car did, but normally I'd have thought it was just a lemon. When I asked some questions about things like the window and door controls chipping, the ignition coils going out, the glovebox door breaking and the seats fading, on the Audi forum Audizine, I was told it was all common stuff. On the BMWs and Volvo that I owned, this stuff just didn't happen. I've also been told that Audis are great if you lease them, because for the first few years they're top notch, but fall apart after that. As far as luxury cars go, Audis, in my opinion are junk.

Its unfortunate that you had that experience with your A4 but as far as I know and have experienced in the past 9 years (one A6 and one A8) aside from the usual gremlins most luxo barges give the owners, the cars were great. I currently have the A8 which I bought 4 years ago and I wouldn't dare call it junk.
smile.gif

If you really want to know more about Audi's I'd suggest you visit or join Quattroworld.com or Audiworld.com where true enthusiasts of the Audi lines of cars can share their experiences with you.

Palladio

Reaction score
Well this is all good too know,thanks.I thought to myself that the warranty was nod a good idea,since it was pretty expensive,but then realized that if something does break,im covered.Hopefully i can keep it for a decently long time,and hopefully it doesnt need any major repairs after my warranty runs out.
I've had a 2004 S40 for 5 1/2 years, with 40,000 miles on it, that's been very reliable. Maintenance is expensive, but the car works and doesn't give me any problems, which is well worth it to me. Yours should last you a long time with proper upkeep.

mikeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Palladio
I've had a 2004 S40 for 5 1/2 years, with 40,000 miles on it, that's been very reliable. Maintenance is expensive, but the car works and doesn't give me any problems, which is well worth it to me. Yours should last you a long time with proper upkeep.

Excellent,I hope it last a long time as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics