• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20 rep squat program - am I overtraining?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm back in the US I've started a 20 rep squat program as follows:

# Squat: 1x20 (you do your 10 rep max 20 times by pausing and "resting" when needed)
# Pullovers: 1x20
# Stiff-legged deadlift: 1x15
# Pullovers: 1x20
# Bench press: 2 x 8
# Bent row: 2 x 15
# Military press: 2 x 12

I do this 3 days per week. It is brutal. It doesn't seem like enough to overtrain, but previously I was getting good results doing major muscle groups only once per week. I feel like the squats and deadlift 3 times per week might be excessive. I certainly feel a lot more worn out on a daily basis, and I am sore as hell on recovery days

What say you, fitness experts?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomed
Only 8 sets?

Yup, thus my confusion, because I feel like I am overtraining

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time i saw anyone mention the exercise 'pullover' let alone when I last did one.

Those were the days....sigh.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell ya. I've been trying to stick with the Stronglifts 5x5 routine, it calls for squatting 3x a week, and I just can't. I want to, and try every other day at the gym, but my soreness prevents me from it. I squatted after work Thursday night and I'm still walking like an old man today, even having trouble with stairs still.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smolov generally requires juice to see better gains than other programs. Well, that's based on hearsay but it seems somewhat true.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fixed

Originally Posted by why
any high rep or high volume program generally requires juice.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
fixed

True, but Smolov has a lot of microcycles that make it deceptive.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, i just went from being sauced and performing @30 sets per workout to arimidex and about 12 sets per workout.

scoota

Reaction score
I'd say listen to your body and adjust your workout according until you find something that fits you. From doing 5x5, I've found I need a couple days rest between workouts so I incorporated that into my routine. As the saying goes, use what works for YOU and discard what does not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads