• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20% of Spaniards have Jewish heritage and 11% have Moorish

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I wouldn't yell that out in a room full of spaniards unless you want to go out like Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

Dark as many of them are I'm surprised this isn't obvious. I guess it's similar to telling a very dark skinned Dominican, or PR they are African.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife is Jewish by injection, Spanish by heritage.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Dark as many of them are I'm surprised this isn't obvious. I guess it's similar to telling a very dark skinned Dominican, or PR they are African.

what?????????
smile.gif

My comment was both about the Moors (I don't really know any dark skin Spaniards) and about the Sephardic Jews that Spain kicked out.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
what?????????
smile.gif

My comment was both about the Moors (I don't really know any dark skin Spaniards) and about the Sephardic Jews that Spain kicked out.

Relatively dark skinned I should say. Many Spanish and Portuguese people, seem a good deal darker than the French.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some have suggest that Francisco Franco was of converso-Jewish ancestry--the name being cognate with such common Ashkenazic Jewish names as Frank, Frankau or Frankel.

If so, no wonder Hitler couldn't abide him. If Hitler's Table Talk is reliable (I think there is some question of the authenticity of parts or all of it), he actually regretted not helping the Republicans instead of the Nationalists in Spain!

I am not sure how one finds "Jewish genes," much less "Moorish genes" after centuries of admixture. The "Moorish genes" would be complex indeed--a mixture of Berber, Arab and the darker Hamitic/Negroid peoples from the south, to say nothing of earlier genetic substrates left by Vandals, Romans and Carthaginians.

Maybe I am just the equivalent of a Flat-Earther, but I remain highly skeptical of a lot of this DNA analysis business.

samblau

Reaction score
At least now I know why I love me some paella, serano ham and manchego with a nice Rioja to wash it all down.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
At least now I know why I love me some paella, serano ham and manchego with a nice Rioja to wash it all down.

You love those things because they're delicious.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they don't know that then they are ******* idiots. Same as southern italians are certainly not of the same ethnicity as many northerners.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am not sure how one finds "Jewish genes," much less "Moorish genes" after centuries of admixture. The "Moorish genes" would be complex indeed--a mixture of Berber, Arab and the darker Hamitic/Negroid peoples from the south, to say nothing of earlier genetic substrates left by Vandals, Romans and Carthaginians.

Maybe I am just the equivalent of a Flat-Earther, but I remain highly skeptical of a lot of this DNA analysis business.

I had DNA analysis done through the National Geographic Genographic Project. In men, they look only at the y-chromosome. This is past on unchanged from father to son with changes occurring slowly though random mutations over a great deal of time. Since it does not combine with anything from the mother, it is possible to track direct male line migration patterns in human populations. The sample I provided was given a number and was "anonymous". The results that I got were exactly what I expected; I am a member of the J1 haplogroup which is listed as being rare in Europe except for Jews. My father's grandfather was a Prussian Jew who immigrated to the USA in the 1870's. Other members of J1 are Arabs (particularly from the Arabian peninsula, the Bedouins of the Negev and Palestinians) and all known Samaritan lines. I actually find the whole study fascinating.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I had DNA analysis done through the National Geographic Genographic Project. . .The results that I got were exactly what I expected; I am a member of the J1 haplogroup which is listed as being rare in Europe except for Jews. My father's grandfather was a Prussian Jew who immigrated to the USA in the 1870's. Other members of J1 are Arabs (particularly from the Arabian peninsula, the Bedouins of the Negev and Palestinians) and all known Samaritan lines. I actually find the whole study fascinating.

OMG that is awesome!

I am googling it right now.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My wife and I participated in that National Geographic study as well. I don't have the results handy, but it was interesting to learn your genetic genealogy. I don't know if its still ongoing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads