• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20% of Spaniards have Jewish heritage and 11% have Moorish

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The author of that article wrote a great book called Beyond the Dawn that basically expands to everyone. A really interesting read.

andyw

Reaction score
Last nights episode of Spain On The Road Again featured the Catalunya region and in the city of Girona, Mario and Gwynnie visited the old Jewish quarters dating back to the medieval era. Incredibly ancient and beautiful.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ancestors were Moorish Spaniards. They got kicked out and we moved to Germany for a generation, had to change the family name and then moved to the US.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Some have suggest that Francisco Franco was of converso-Jewish ancestry--the name being cognate with such common Ashkenazic Jewish names as Frank, Frankau or Frankel.

If so, no wonder Hitler couldn't abide him. If Hitler's Table Talk is reliable (I think there is some question of the authenticity of parts or all of it), he actually regretted not helping the Republicans instead of the Nationalists in Spain!

I am not sure how one finds "Jewish genes," much less "Moorish genes" after centuries of admixture. The "Moorish genes" would be complex indeed--a mixture of Berber, Arab and the darker Hamitic/Negroid peoples from the south, to say nothing of earlier genetic substrates left by Vandals, Romans and Carthaginians.

Maybe I am just the equivalent of a Flat-Earther, but I remain highly skeptical of a lot of this DNA analysis business.

Nope, not alone.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some have suggest that Francisco Franco was of converso-Jewish ancestry--the name being cognate with such common Ashkenazic Jewish names as Frank, Frankau or Frankel.

If so, no wonder Hitler couldn't abide him. If Hitler's Table Talk is reliable (I think there is some question of the authenticity of parts or all of it), he actually regretted not helping the Republicans instead of the Nationalists in Spain!

I am not sure how one finds "Jewish genes," much less "Moorish genes" after centuries of admixture. The "Moorish genes" would be complex indeed--a mixture of Berber, Arab and the darker Hamitic/Negroid peoples from the south, to say nothing of earlier genetic substrates left by Vandals, Romans and Carthaginians.

Maybe I am just the equivalent of a Flat-Earther, but I remain highly skeptical of a lot of this DNA analysis business.

Quite simply. There are many genetic traits inherent in Jewish DNA which manifest themselves quite visibly. Without even having to do DNA analysis, there are many traits in terms of chronic health issues among Ashkenazi jews that make a pattern quite plainly visible to a geneticist. I don't exactly see what you believe DNA is shaky on.
tinfoil.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Quite simply. There are many genetic traits inherent in Jewish DNA which manifest themselves quite visibly. Without even having to do DNA analysis, there are many traits in terms of chronic health issues among Ashkenazi jews that make a pattern quite plainly visible to a geneticist. I don't exactly see what you believe DNA is shaky on.
tinfoil.gif

Well, the fact that a lot of these DNA analyses fly in the face of a great deal we have assumed about human population shifts and dynamics based on historical and archaeological evidence has tended to make me skeptical.

What really did it though was a study on dog-wolf relationships. A DNA analysis was performed on timberwolves of the Mackenzie River subspecies to see which dogs were the closest. The most closely related dog breeds were not, as one might suspect, something on the order of the Alaskan Malemute or the Canadian Inuit Dog. No, they were the Standard Poodle and the [English] Bulldog! Something is definitely very fishy here! I read about this in a work on dogs published by the Cambridge University Press. Had it been some "creation science" screed, I might have been dismissive of the curious bit of intelligence.

I have read reports in the L.A. Times that DNA evidence is greatly abused by prosecutors in an effort to get convictions. They will claim that the odds of DNA evidence are astronomically in favor of linking the accused with a crime, when this is by no means the case.

Speaking strictly as a layman, I would not be altogether surprised if much of this DNA analysis didn't eventually end up in the same scientific graveyard with the Piltdown Man, phrenology, phlogiston and miasmic theory.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking strictly as a layman, I would not be altogether surprised if much of this DNA analysis didn't eventually end up in the same scientific graveyard with the Piltdown Man, phrenology, phlogiston and miasmic theory.

you may be right, but I have read some very interesting stuff conecting specific populations with specific locations, and tracing prehistoric migration paths. I find that fascinating - for instance the whole genetic breakdown of the celtic populatons in europe and where they came from at what time.

obviously, it will not be possible to prove conclusivly that the science is accurate right now, but I do think that it is pretty cool

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since the word "Moor" is pretty much meaningless, I wonder how it's defined. The Moors were Berbers and Arabs, not subsaharan Africans as commonly portrayed.

If I'm not mistaken, the Berbers of antiquity were basically the same people as the non-Indo-European-speaking peoples in Iberia, southern France, and the British Isles. Since then, of course, the Berbers have mixed with Arabs and black Africans, the Spanish with Celts and Germans and Arabs, etc.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I wouldn't yell that out in a room full of spaniards unless you want to go out like Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

I think you may wind up more like the guy that got chainsawed in the shower in scarface, if you chose to yell this out.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the OP, I thought this was common knowledge -- the conversos and all that ...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Regarding the OP, I thought this was common knowledge -- the conversos and all that ...

the information in the article is common knowledge. i don't see why anyone would publish these findings or why someone would write an article on them or why someone would post said article on the styleforum.

20% and 11% are not big numbers.

the 20% jew sounds a little high.
the 11% moro sounds a little low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads