• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2-year MBA cheap vs. expensive options

graphite

Reaction score
so, is a 2 year MBA from a reasonably respectable university worth the 100K total cost? i got accepted to a decent, pricey, private school. i could, however, opt for the free-tuition (benefits from military service) route at a local state school which is not prestigious.

would be nice to walk away w/ a 2 year MBA and still be debt free. but maybe going to the expensive option is a better long term investment and/or provides better opportunities?

any past MBA's care to weigh in?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
aren't you getting an mba with the expectation of making at least 6 figures a year?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what are the 2 schools, and your current job, and future job?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
so, is a 2 year MBA from a reasonably respectable university worth the 100K total cost? i got accepted to a decent, pricey, private school. i could, however, opt for the free-tuition (benefits from military service) route at a local state school which is not prestigious. would be nice to walk away w/ a 2 year MBA and still be debt free. but maybe going to the expensive option is a better long term investment and/or provides better opportunities? any past MBA's care to weigh in?
I think the generally accepted thinking is that a top 10 b-school is probably worth the sticker price (or more). The next ten (ranked 10-20) might be worth it, might not, depends what your lower-cost option is. Anything below #20, and you're better off doing it as cheaply as possible. I will add, seeing your location (Boston), that there are some circumstances where local schools punch above their weight in the local community. BC is not terribly highly ranked, but it has a very strong local alumni network, so it might be worth thinking about. The same can be said of USC in LA, or UT in Texas - if you're planning to stay local, they're not a terrible waste of $$$.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends on what you're planning to do with your MBA. If you're going into a lucrative profession that really is only within reach of top school graduates, this will be a 2 year payback on your investment. If you're planning on becoming an entrepreneur, it's much harder to gauge which option has the highest NPV.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NPV method
ffffuuuu.gif

jfranci3

Reaction score
If your goal after an MBA is a different job, then yes it worth 100k to go to the right school. If just education, any will do. It'll be A LOT easier to get recruited for a new job from a top-5/10/15/20 school than an evening program.

graphite

Reaction score
Sorry.

Boston University (private)

vs

UMass-Boston (public)

No job right now (quit to go to business school). Used to be military. Planning on a switch, but haven't figured that one out yet.

tj100

Reaction score
Sorry.

vs

UMass-Boston (public)

No job right now (quit to go to business school). Used to be military. Planning on a switch, but haven't figured that one out yet.

That's a pretty tough call. On the face of it, BU is definitely not worth the $$$.

On the other hand, UMass-Boston gets so little respect, I wonder if that degree is even worth the two years of effort.

jfranci3

Reaction score
Career reset button = find school with best recruiting for the industry you want to be in. Talk to some grads, see how many have jobs...seriously. If you don't use your degree to get a better job straight out of school, it won't make a bit of difference. Boston Univ is a #34 ranked school. You need to see if you can get into MIT or broaden your location horizons.
Schools with good recruiting will also have the best networking. In grad school, you learn just as much from your class mates as the instructors.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Are you able to look out of state? For a $100k program, you can do much better than BU.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to figure out what you want to do with this education/degree. That's step one. Even if you narrow it down to 2 or 3 career paths, it's better than "haven't figured that one out yet".

Based on that, you can figure out if it's worth taking any of these admission offers.

newinny

Reaction score
At BU, you'd probably get access to the broader alumni network which would be useful in getting job interviews. Also, I imagine there is more networking available with your fellow students than at U-Mass. Still, given all this, I'd probably choose U-Mass.

tks02

Reaction score
Sorry.

vs

UMass-Boston (public)

First, nobody pays $100K to go to BU. The tuition for two years comes out to $80, and almost everyone I knew had a grant. There were three vets in my class. If you'd like some more insight, feel free to pm me.

The best advice on this thread has been to:
1. figure out what you want to do after grad school (e.g. banking, marketing, non-profit)
2. figure out the which companies in that industry you want to work for
3. figure out which schools those companies recruit from

Period. Grad school is not the place to figure out what you want to do next.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads