1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2 year anniversary NY Times profile on SF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 28, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I came from modern man myself. I remember one poster named Josh, who would talk about his arrow dress shirts.
    I remember his polyester ties, and his wishing to appear more conservative; there was something about whether a right or left hair part was more conservative. I wonder if he is on the AAAC forum.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Anoter ModernMan DP, though I lurked for some time it was ages until I naturalized. I nominate Josh's request for the definition of 'dressing left' and 'dressing right' as the best Josh post ever.

Regards,
    Huntsman

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I happened to be surfing the GQ forum back in September 2004 and saw a link to this web site. I came here and all I heard about was the "Times article" responsible for the influx of new members. Until today I had never actually even read it [​IMG]

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

I completely forgot how I found this forum. It wasn't from any of the sources mentioned so far...

5. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I am a refugee from the Men's Health forums. I was seeking actual style content, which was sorely lacking after a while over there.

6. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

GQ Forum Refugee

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I found the forum in January 03 courtesy of Steve B and The_Foxx. First I found Steve B's website which linked here, then I noticed that the The_Foxx had posted links to some Anderson & Sheppard tuxedo's I was selling, which caught my attention.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

The NYT article was my first info about the forums.

9. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

a web seach on spencer hart brought me here after a few day i thort if would be fun to sign up!

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was just passing through on my way to Australia.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I discovered Style Forum quite by accident while carrying out a lifelong vendetta against the style-impaired.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I remember one poster here whose name I forgot, who would talk about his pink Van Hausen dress shirts.

doughsc or something like that. Said he was austistic which I genuinely believed. Unfortunately some denizens came down pretty hard on him as a troll. It's a shame if we are ever more concerned about being 'had' than our compassion for a fellow.

~Huntsman

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

doughsc or something like that. Said he was austistic which I genuinely believed. Unfortunately some denizens came down pretty hard on him as a troll. It's a shame if we are ever more concerned about being 'had' than our compassion for a fellow.

~Huntsman

Ah yes, he also posted pictures of himself wearing his dressy clothes.

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I found AAAC through Google, and SF from AAAC.

15. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Same here.

16. dusty

dusty Senior member

I typed 'style forum' into Google. It was just before that article I think (I lurked for a long time before registering).

17. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

That was the path I took here as well, just after the NYT article (which I had not read until now).

18. j

j Senior member Admin

I once again apologize for sounding like a moron in the article. Never say anything that sounds like "I have no idea" to a reporter. What I actually said was that in reference to the discussions of last numbers, I had no idea what the people discussing them were talking about (which is still often true, though I'm picking up some of it).

All in all I think it had a definite positive impact on the forum.

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I once again apologize for sounding like a moron in the article. Never say anything that sounds like "I have no idea" to a reporter. What I actually said was that in reference to the discussions of last numbers, I had no idea what the people discussing them were talking about (which is still often true, though I'm picking up some of it).

All in all I think it had a definite positive impact on the forum.

I thought that was pretty funny, and assumed it was being said tongue in cheek. I think it comes off just fine.