• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 week holiday?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning a holiday with my family (wife and 3 year old son) but no idea where to go. Thinking about June or July, for around two weeks, moderate budget, travelling from Japan.

We are looking for a place to relax but interesting (not just a beach), good with a kid, with good food.

Any suggestions?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first place in mind mind is thailand. fantastic beaches, a great city, temples, colors, sounds, great food. I was there with some kids a few years back (work paid group vacation with families) and the young kids loved bangkok.

another place would be sri lanka- I am dying to take my son there. also very beutiful, good food, good beaches, cheap. there is a great elephant orphanage that kids love.

the big problem is that it is hot in both these places in july, and sri lanka may be just coming into monsoon.

if you really need a place cooler, my son loved london when he was two. very child friendly, and july isn't a bad time to visit. this, of course, will be more expensive.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
seconding thailand and getting a little more specific, phuket is fabulous. cheap, lots to do, kid friendly.

stay away from patong, up in kata or karon beaches, wonderful

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Far East, but I love Maui, Hawaii. Certainly there are beaches, but there is also a lot to do (hiking, biking, snorkeling, SCUBA, great restaurants, good shopping, etc.).

Reaction score
Sydney (amazing city, great beaches, lots of culture, exotic animals for the kids and alot of fun)...can also make side trips up Australia's gold coast.

Barcelona - spanish riviera is relaxing while you get the culture/architecture of Barcelona.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid
Sydney (amazing city, great beaches, lots of culture, exotic animals for the kids and alot of fun)...can also make side trips up Australia's gold coast.

Barcelona - spanish riviera is relaxing while you get the culture/architecture of Barcelona.

Ha - awesome username!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Planning a holiday with my family (wife and 3 year old son) but no idea where to go. Thinking about June or July, for around two weeks, moderate budget, travelling from Japan.

We are looking for a place to relax but interesting (not just a beach), good with a kid, with good food.

Any suggestions?

los angeles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Some great suggestions; much appreciated.

I particularly like the Sri Lanka idea (Thanks Globetrotter) as the elephant orphanage sounds great for my kid.

Matt, how about Vietnam?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Some great suggestions; much appreciated.

I particularly like the Sri Lanka idea (Thanks Globetrotter) as the elephant orphanage sounds great for my kid.

Matt, how about Vietnam?

here's what you do if you really want to rock your family - do a week in the maldives (direct flight from colombo) with unbelievable beaches, 3 days in colombo, see all the temples, great shopping for kids stuff, casual clothes, you may very well even find a tailor, see the municiple garden they have huge fruit bats, have some great food. then you get a driver to take you to the elephant orphanage and a spice farm, and then spend another couple of nights inland, including candy. the land is incredibly lush, maybe see a tea plantation.

have fun, at the orphanage you see about 100 elephants, and you can get close and play with them a little, if you are willing to provide a very modest incentive to the keepers. if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I used to stay at the hilton, good views, not far from the beach.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
first place in mind mind is thailand. .

That was my first thought too. Or Bali. Or Costa Rica if you want to make the flight.

operationexpat

Reaction score
Sri Lanka sounds great. I might have to check that out for my next vacation
smile.gif

I recently took a 10 day vacation in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. KL has some great things to do with kids--********* park, aquarium, space needle, and a lot of museums. The Petronas towers will impress anyone regardless of age. *Definitely* find out about the weather. That will make or break a vacation.

Bali's not the safest place right now (not that it would stop me from going, just that it might not be the best place for kids.)

Bon Voyage!
Sara

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Matt, how about Vietnam?
Not with kids. I love it here, but the infrastructure still not ideal for family travels. Trying to cross the street is insane on a good day, and with kids, lugging backpacks etc etc, nigh on impossible, and there are no crosswalks anywhere. Case in point, this pic is about 30 meters from my office, and right next to Ben Thanh market (one of Saigons most visited attractions):
citytraffic5ss.jpg
and this one is in central Hanoi:
traffic.jpg
...how do you get your kids across this? The beaches are mediocre, the (non tailor) shopping is non-existent. The non-Vietnamese cuisine options are limited - theres no McDonalds to take squealing kids to - and so on. There are some gorgeous places here (Halong Bay and Sapa spring to mind), but I think the lunacy of the cities probably makes Thailand a better option. Plus, almost everyone needs visas to come here, so it drives the cost up. I love it here, and would highly recommend it to independent travellers, but for someone on a family vacation, its not ideal.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
here's what you do if you really want to rock your family - do a week in the maldives (direct flight from colombo) with unbelievable beaches, 3 days in colombo, see all the temples, great shopping for kids stuff, casual clothes, you may very well even find a tailor, see the municiple garden they have huge fruit bats, have some great food. then you get a driver to take you to the elephant orphanage and a spice farm, and then spend another couple of nights inland, including candy. the land is incredibly lush, maybe see a tea plantation.

have fun, at the orphanage you see about 100 elephants, and you can get close and play with them a little, if you are willing to provide a very modest incentive to the keepers. if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I used to stay at the hilton, good views, not far from the beach.

Globetrotter,

This sounds wonderful; thanks for he ideas. I ran the idea past my wife and son and they both loved it.

We are also now thinking of India. Have you been with kids?

Matt, I see your point. We are no strangers to crazy traffic here in Japan but that is a whole other meaning of the words "busy street". Thanks for the info.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Globetrotter,

This sounds wonderful; thanks for he ideas. I ran the idea past my wife and son and they both loved it.

We are also now thinking of India. Have you been with kids?

Matt, I see your point. We are no strangers to crazy traffic here in Japan but that is a whole other meaning of the words "busy street". Thanks for the info.

I love india, love indians. that said - india is a great deal more dirty, loud and wild than sri lanka. sri lanka is like (and I appologize in advance to anybody I am about to offend) a light version of india. it is cleaner, the people are less invasive and much more polite and gentle. it is smaller. you are less likely to encounter very bizzare suprises. I know friends who lived their with kids, I have seen people travel with kids there. I would be concerned about the hygine and the freaking out factor - you see some totally insane wild bizzare stuff in india. this is great if you are an adverturous adult - but I have seen more than one adult just freeze up and choose not to leave their hotel room until they could get out of the country.

if you do go to india - I would suggest goa, and specifically the leela palace at goa. this is the best hotel I have every been to, an all villa hotel with a gorgious beach. about as much as a small room in tokyo will cost you. I would stay away from varanasi, and try to keep from doing too much traveling around. again, this is just because of your son - you really don't want to see the inside of an indian hospital if you can avoid it. one thing very cool that you can do in the big cities in india is have your hotel rent you an elephant to tour off the back of. indians do it for weddings and celbrations sometimes, so there are guys who will bring an elephant to your hotel and you can tour the downtown of a big wild city from the back of an elephant.

good luck and feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

another thing - sri lanka has huge outlets for clothes sewn there for western companies. I got all of my sons baby clothes there, and you can get good casual clothes and sneakers very cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads