• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 SWU on American Airlines not able to use this year - free

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So for the last 7+ years I have been Executive Platinum on AA from all of my work travel. When you reach the 100K mile mark for the year they award you Executive Platinum for the next year and 8 System Wide Upgrades. Recently, I have changed positions and am not doing much international travel and probably won't have a chance to use any of them. For now I am giving away 2 and in the future if I have no chance to use them I will dribble the others out. These are good until Feb 28, 2014.

What these allow is for me to upgrade any one-way trip of up to 3 hops 1 class. So for instance say you were traveling JFK to Tokyo (HND) on American in coach. With a system wide upgrade, you can now take that same 14 hour flight in business class.

This can save you serious money, for instance the coach cost for a flight is $1826 while the business on the same flight is $7240.

Here is the thing though, it is against AA policy to sell or trade these so I am giving them away. Over the years I have given these to co-workers or they have expired (5 expired last year), this year I decided to give them to one of my favorite internet hangouts. I would prefer to give these to the senior people on the forum (i.e. those that have hundreds of posts) since they have made my time here enjoyable. Any questions you have should be answered in this FAQ from AA. The only thing I will need from you is the name of the passenger and the airline confirmation code.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/upgrades.jsp

Since this is my favorite area in the forums, I posted it in the "Classic Menswear" area. Since I am not selling or trading I didn't think it belonged in the marketplace and since it is not a discussion on travel it doesn't really belong there either.

Please PM me with your requests for one or both.

P.S. These are really best used on international flights, I had a guy at work want one for BOS - DFW which is 2 1/2 hrs...

Last edited:

gambit50

Reaction score
That is very sporting and generous of you.Tempting.

How would they know if someone paid you for one?
Just curious.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
This is awesome man, good for you. I would love to use a couple t am sure there are more deserving members. Regardless, good for you

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is very sporting and generous of you.Tempting.

How would they know if someone paid you for one?
Just curious.

You can go over to flyertalk.com and look through some of the threads. Many people have been caught selling them on craigslist and ebay, AA has a security team that watches both places to ensure they catch this. From what I gather ebay is fairly free with giving out personal information to third parties.

gambit50

Reaction score

You can go over to flyertalk.com and look through some of the threads. Many people have been caught selling them on craigslist and ebay, AA has a security team that watches both places to ensure they catch this. From what I gather ebay is fairly free with giving out personal information to third parties.

I meant more along the lines of you upgrading your mate(or SF acquaintance) and them handing you a token gift or cash. Not advertising for all the world to see.
Anyway, not important, plus I do not want to have any negative connotations associated with your grand gesture.
Are you only giving them to someone with a confirmed AA flight? As opposed to 'saving' them for a later date based on time of contact.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant more along the lines of you upgrading your mate(or SF acquaintance) and them handing you a token gift or cash. Not advertising for all the world to see.
Anyway, not important, plus I do not want to have any negative connotations associated with your grand gesture.
Are you only giving them to someone with a confirmed AA flight? As opposed to 'saving' them for a later date based on time of contact.

Yeah, I have 2 gentlemen with confirmed reservations 1 DC to Shanghai and the other DC to Hawaii. If it winds up I can't use them I will dribble out the others over the next months.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoeluv - what size Shoes, Suits etc do you wear. At the very least you should receive a Trade for such a generous offer?.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoeluv - what size Shoes, Suits etc do you wear. At the very least you should receive a Trade for such a generous offer?.

According to AA policy I can not do anything that would be considered selling or trading so no quid pro quo at all. This is what I expected, last year I had 5 of these go to waste because I waited to long to give them out this year I want to give them away in plenty of time.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have chosen a member, he is a multi-thousand poster who is traveling to China. I need his permission before I use his name.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a most generous offer Shoeluv, and a rare event on our beloved forum. High praise to you, good sir. Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Called and requested upgrade for senior members round trip to China. Outbound was not available so I added him to the waitlist. Return was available and confirmed upgrade to Business class. I am reserving a SWU just in case his return trip opens up, but if it doesn't I will make it available again after the first week of June. So if you are flying AA long haul after the first week of June send me a PM and if it is still free you will be given a chance at the SWU.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads