• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 pairs of A.S/Carminas or 1 G&G/EG/Vass

Verniza

Reaction score
Hello SF-ers! After much lurking I've decided to invest in a pair of good quality shoes.

I have a budget of 1k and after some research, I'm stuck between 2 options.

Either I get 2 pairs of A.S exclusive range/Carminas/ RTW Vass(Depending on whether they remove VAT for non-EU)

OR

1 pair of RTW G&G from Bespoke England/
1 pair of EGs from Edwards of Manchester/
1 pair of MTO Vass.

I'm looking forward to my shoes lasting me 4-5years minimum with a best case scenario at 10years.

Which choice will be the most bang for my buck?

Verniza

Reaction score

where do you get RTW Vass ?
I think you can get them directly from Vass. I haven't liaised with them yet but in their price list for their shoes there's 2 sections, one being RTW and the other being Custom made shoes. So I'm assuming they do carry a RTW line. Just go to the Vass website and go to contact and download the Price List.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 pairs.. the 400$+ range is where you get diminishing returns, imo

Verniza

Reaction score

What style are you looking for? Color/material too.

Style-wise, an elegant cap toe oxfords and a monk strap.

Color-wise either,
Medium brown
Dark Cognac
Cherry
Burgundy

Materials-wise, as much as I want a crocodile/stingray leather shoe, I'll have to settle with calf skin $$$. Leather sole, preferably oak bark. :nodding:

2 pairs.. the 400$+ range is where you get diminishing returns, imo

Ahh thanks. But I haven't found much information on the A.S exclusive range yet except that the company was on the verge of bankruptcy and then revived with 2 new shoe ranges.

Any information on the A.S exclusive range experience and quality-wise would be appreciated!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does your current shoe collection look like?

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score

What does your current shoe collection look like?

Currently all it has are 1 ALDO lace up that I almost never wear. About 3 loafers, 1 black penny, 2 tassel loafers, one navy and one white.

So this purchase will be my entry into quality footwear.

Rich0116

Reaction score

Currently all it has are 1 ALDO lace up that I almost never wear. About 3 loafers, 1 black penny, 2 tassel loafers, one navy and one white.

I'd definitely go with the 2-pair then. Black captoe and brown wingtip. Win.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
If you're going to enter the realm of "quality footwear", I'd suggest going to a place where you can try on all (or most) of these shoes. If that's not possible, make sure you're buying from a place that takes returns (and don't forget to add in the shipping costs). It would be a disappointing experience, no matter how nice the shoes are, if you ended up with a pair of shoes that didn't fit you.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I'd definitely go with the 2-pair then. Black captoe and brown wingtip. Win.

this. if you had a larger shoe rotation, id say go for the G&Gs or Lobbs. But with a limited collection, no question. Go for 2 pairs of Carminas. the above choice is great for a starter. If i were getting 2 pair, id get a brown suede double monk and a nicely brogued brown captoe. (i have more black shoes though)

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score

In that case, 2 pairs of the "lesser" shoes- it would be a shame to drop the coin on EGs and then shorten their life by wearing them for several days straight. I'd think it would be better to add some breadth of style to your collection first and foremost.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In that case, 2 pairs of the "lesser" shoes- it would be a shame to drop the coin on EGs and then shorten their life by wearing them for several days straight. I'd think it would be better to add some breadth of style to your collection first and foremost.

x2

If you are like most of us, you will favor the new shoes, and will stop wearing the old ones completely. You will then start spending thousand of dollars on more new shoes, it will become an addiction. Say goodbye to your savings! Welcome to the SF club :D

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say without knowledge of how those brands will fit you. For instance I think Edwards offers G&Gs in F widths. Will that be too wide? Which Carmina last will you go for? Some are wider/narrower than others. Same for AS.

Also, you must factor in sets of properly fitting trees into the purchase price which isn't cheap. One trick I use is for my EGs I go to RL for the trees which are based on the 202 last as are many of EGs lasts and only cost $55.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello SF-ers! After much lurking I've decided to invest in a pair of good quality shoes.

I have a budget of 1k and after some research, I'm stuck between 2 options.

Either I get 2 pairs of A.S exclusive range/Carminas/ RTW Vass(Depending on whether they remove VAT for non-EU)

OR

1 pair of RTW G&G from Bespoke England/
1 pair of EGs from Edwards of Manchester/
1 pair of MTO Vass.

I'm looking forward to my shoes lasting me 4-5years minimum with a best case scenario at 10years.

Which choice will be the most bang for my buck?

Gotta be real here. You will most like not be able to get Vass at their retail price.

The best option is to get from a brand that you can try on the shoes in person. It will otherwise be very costly to figure out the right size and last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads