• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 new MTM suits - critique appreciated

kischi

Reaction score
Hey folks,

received two new MTM suits today. The cloth of the grey DB is from Barberis, the navy one is Reid & Taylor. Paid 550 € (~ 800 $) for the SB and got the DB at 50% discount for 250 € (~ 400 $).

Although the construction is propably junk, I'm overall pretty satisfied, but of course the fit is far away from beeing perfect. Pants are fine, but on both jackets there seems to be too much fabric in the back area which causes the big wrinkles.

So what do you think? Are the suits ok considering that I did not pay much more than for an average OTR suit? Or should I get them altered? By the way, please excuse the pic quality, the terrible tie knot and the ill fitting shirt collar
smile.gif

db1nm3.jpg

db2hh8.jpg

db3jo4.jpg

db4zq7.jpg

db5sm9.jpg

sb1sz2.jpg

sb2ey8.jpg

sb3fa7.jpg

sb4wn0.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty decent for MTM--maybe as good as anyone can hope for. For inexpensive MTM, it's positively fantastic.

I might bring in the shoulders a tiny bit and go a little shorter on the DB jacket, but just a tad.

EDIT: Oh, two other things: the back looks tight and perhaps the collar could be a little tighter. But this is the problem with knitpicking--the reality is that for so little money, it's pretty damned good and expectations should be realistic.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Pretty decent for MTM--maybe as good as anyone can hope for. For inexpensive MTM, it's positively fantastic.

I might bring in the shoulders a tiny bit and go a little shorter on the DB jacket, but just a tad.

I was told by people on this forum you can not do anything about shoulders? So it is possible to bring them in?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I was told by people on this forum you can not do anything about shoulders? So it is possible to bring them in?

Well, you can, although it's not a small operation and it can't be done too much. My suggestion was more with respect to future orders.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the DB drapes better in the back. Not sure what is going on with the SB, though.

the sleeve pitch looks off too. look at how much the sleeve is wrinkling in your side shot. It looks like the sleeve needs to be rotated forward more. Like mafoo says, I'd bring in the shoulders. I'd probably shorten the pants too.

Overall, it looks pretty good.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good job! $1,200 for both suits - not bad. You look very respectable however, shoulders on the SB suit look off to my untrained eye.

Please work on that tie knot.
smile.gif

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits look great! I mean sure, there are some minor flaws, but you're the only one who'll notice them. Everybody else is going to think you look like a million bucks. Good job!

Matt B

Reaction score
+1^
I agree. Compared to what most people wear, you will look great. The visual impact will depend somewhat on the quality of the fabrice in person, of course, but overall it's a very good effort. I actually think you might get more bang for the buck by investing in some really beautiful shirts and ties to compliment the suits, rather than nitpicking on the suit details themselves. That tie (in these photos) and knot is not doing you any favours.

M

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes the point to point should be taken in. about 1/2" each side.
add 1/4"in at the neck points. that will bring the coat collar closer to the shirt collar.
you have a right low shoulder. see how the right side breaks and sleeve does not hang as well as the left. the right hip is too tight it should be let out.

dopamine

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of DB, but I definitely do like the SB suit. It would help if you wore a slight cutaway collar or spread collar with it, though, and definitely tighten up your tie knot - it looks quite sloppy.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both pants look fine to me.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the jackets look a bit long, maybe it's just an illusion since you are tall and fairly thin.

Zebear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Am I the only one that thinks the jackets look a bit long, maybe it's just an illusion since you are tall and fairly thin.
The cut of the hanger in the background is about right. There are too many things to be changed to mention here. I am wondering what Carl "shirtmaven" is doing???
lol8[1].gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kischi
Hey folks,

received two new MTM suits today. [/IMG]

They look good. Alterations can be done. I usually do the alterations when they have to be pressed/ repaired.

Who made them?

Hazad

Reaction score
I'd echo many of the comments, particularly mafoofan's. Also, is it just me or do the lapels on the DB look a little off? Maybe its the gorge or they just aren't large enough, but something about them leaves me wanting. The rest of the DB however looks great and I'm just being knitpicky. You did quite well for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads