• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 months in Asia - advice?

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you go to Bangkok be sure to catcha match at Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen.

csulli13

Reaction score
Don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Bali is defiantly worth seeing (island in Indonesia). I was there for a month in 2000, and I'd love to go back. The whole place is a tropical paradise and everything is dirt cheap. They have plentiful beaches for snorkeling, old temples, restaurants where you can eat fresh daily catches right on the beach. People are friendly and used to dealing with tourists. Just stay away from Kuta as it's more commercialized and trashy. I can't recommend Bali highly enough.

Plus you can see monkeys. Everyone loves monkeys.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I realized my itinerary suffers from two isses: it is too ambitious and structured, and I did not take into account the Indian summer.

For one thing, I will not be visiting most of India, because I don't think it will be enjoyable at all in 110 degree weather. This is the advice I got from all of the Indian people I have spoken to. I may still include some of the mountainous and Northern parts in my journey, where the temperatures are cooler. This may include Ladakh, Leh, Sikkim, Darjeeling, and Dharamsala.

Other Northern areas I might include are Nepal and Mongolia/Beijing. Tibet seems to be a hassle to get into. I expect this northern part of the trip to take 30-40 days.

The other part of the trip, I will choose either Indochina (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, maybe Vietnam) or Indonesia. Basically I won't have more than 30 days to do these parts so I won't be going in with a set itinerary - only the necessary Visas and I'll wing it from there.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
For one thing, I will not be visiting most of India, because I don't think it will be enjoyable at all in 110 degree weather. This is the advice I got from all of the Indian people I have spoken to.

remember, the indians that you talk to in the states are the pussies that couldn't take it over there. don't take their advice !!

(just kidding)

I would get to mumbai and hyderabad, as well as agra. you can probrably skip the other parts of the south.

Nepal was great, but I haven't been there since the government changed.

have fun, in any event.

wiru

Reaction score
This may include Ladakh, Leh,

These would be a good substitute for Tibet. Culturally they are very similar, but you have a lot more freedom of movement in Ladakh. There is also no general air of repression and cultural annihilation.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you end up in Laos let me know, my cousin runs a travel agency in Vientiane, maybe I can help if you're not to sure what to do in Laos.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
If you end up in Laos let me know, my cousin runs a travel agency in Vientiane, maybe I can help if you're not to sure what to do in Laos.

It's pretty safe to stay with locals in villages, if I end up going that route?

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty safe to stay with locals in villages, if I end up going that route?

Yeah, there is a ton of foreigners in that area just roaming around now. You'll be safe. ****, you know the raining season is coming up but from what I've gathered it doesn't look like you will be affected.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on what to pack as far as pants are concerned? I understand that the majority of Southeast Asian men wear long pants almost all the time. Is it a bad idea to wear shorts in these countries? I don't want to stand out as a dumb tourist, but at the same time I don't want to get a heat stroke. Plus I would rather err on the side of underpacking. Anyone got a viewpoint on this?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on what to pack as far as pants are concerned? I understand that the majority of Southeast Asian men wear long pants almost all the time. Is it a bad idea to wear shorts in these countries? I don't want to stand out as a dumb tourist, but at the same time I don't want to get a heat stroke. Plus I would rather err on the side of underpacking. Anyone got a viewpoint on this?

Not familiar with SE Asia, as I was just a tourist there as well, but I would think long pants and long shirt = less mosquito bites. At least that was my reason for long pants, also you're less likely to get burned I suppose.

ths

Reaction score
You are going to stand out as a Tourist no matter what you do... So I would suggest packing both short (so that you don't overheat) and long pants for nights when you don't want to be a mosquito magnet. My advice is, don't overpack whatever article of clothing best suits the region will be sold there.

I am from Malaysia BTW.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it's hot, wear shorts. If you don't want to look like a backpacker, then for the love of god do not buy 1/ Thai fisherman pants, 2/ any t-shirt with a local beer brand 3/ any t-shirt with a flag on it 4/ any hat that "the locals traditionally wear" Other than that, wear whatever.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
metrostyle where are you going? Have you decided yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads