1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2 months in Asia - advice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MetroStyles, May 10, 2009.

1. robsan

robsan Member

2. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

If you go to Bangkok be sure to catcha match at Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen.

3. csulli13

csulli13 Senior member

Don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Bali is defiantly worth seeing (island in Indonesia). I was there for a month in 2000, and I'd love to go back. The whole place is a tropical paradise and everything is dirt cheap. They have plentiful beaches for snorkeling, old temples, restaurants where you can eat fresh daily catches right on the beach. People are friendly and used to dealing with tourists. Just stay away from Kuta as it's more commercialized and trashy. I can't recommend Bali highly enough.

Plus you can see monkeys. Everyone loves monkeys.

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

So I realized my itinerary suffers from two isses: it is too ambitious and structured, and I did not take into account the Indian summer.

For one thing, I will not be visiting most of India, because I don't think it will be enjoyable at all in 110 degree weather. This is the advice I got from all of the Indian people I have spoken to. I may still include some of the mountainous and Northern parts in my journey, where the temperatures are cooler. This may include Ladakh, Leh, Sikkim, Darjeeling, and Dharamsala.

Other Northern areas I might include are Nepal and Mongolia/Beijing. Tibet seems to be a hassle to get into. I expect this northern part of the trip to take 30-40 days.

The other part of the trip, I will choose either Indochina (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, maybe Vietnam) or Indonesia. Basically I won't have more than 30 days to do these parts so I won't be going in with a set itinerary - only the necessary Visas and I'll wing it from there.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

For one thing, I will not be visiting most of India, because I don't think it will be enjoyable at all in 110 degree weather. This is the advice I got from all of the Indian people I have spoken to.

remember, the indians that you talk to in the states are the pussies that couldn't take it over there. don't take their advice !!

(just kidding)

I would get to mumbai and hyderabad, as well as agra. you can probrably skip the other parts of the south.

Nepal was great, but I haven't been there since the government changed.

have fun, in any event.

6. wiru

wiru Senior member

This may include Ladakh, Leh,

These would be a good substitute for Tibet. Culturally they are very similar, but you have a lot more freedom of movement in Ladakh. There is also no general air of repression and cultural annihilation.

7. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

If you end up in Laos let me know, my cousin runs a travel agency in Vientiane, maybe I can help if you're not to sure what to do in Laos.

8. MetroStyles

If you end up in Laos let me know, my cousin runs a travel agency in Vientiane, maybe I can help if you're not to sure what to do in Laos.

It's pretty safe to stay with locals in villages, if I end up going that route?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think you ought to get a pith helmet.

10. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

It's pretty safe to stay with locals in villages, if I end up going that route?

Yeah, there is a ton of foreigners in that area just roaming around now. You'll be safe. Shit, you know the raining season is coming up but from what I've gathered it doesn't look like you will be affected.

11. MetroStyles

Can anyone give me advice on what to pack as far as pants are concerned? I understand that the majority of Southeast Asian men wear long pants almost all the time. Is it a bad idea to wear shorts in these countries? I don't want to stand out as a dumb tourist, but at the same time I don't want to get a heat stroke. Plus I would rather err on the side of underpacking. Anyone got a viewpoint on this?

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Can anyone give me advice on what to pack as far as pants are concerned? I understand that the majority of Southeast Asian men wear long pants almost all the time. Is it a bad idea to wear shorts in these countries? I don't want to stand out as a dumb tourist, but at the same time I don't want to get a heat stroke. Plus I would rather err on the side of underpacking. Anyone got a viewpoint on this?

Not familiar with SE Asia, as I was just a tourist there as well, but I would think long pants and long shirt = less mosquito bites. At least that was my reason for long pants, also you're less likely to get burned I suppose.

13. ths

ths Well-Known Member

You are going to stand out as a Tourist no matter what you do... So I would suggest packing both short (so that you don't overheat) and long pants for nights when you don't want to be a mosquito magnet. My advice is, don't overpack whatever article of clothing best suits the region will be sold there.

I am from Malaysia BTW.

14. Matt

Matt Senior member

it's hot, wear shorts. If you don't want to look like a backpacker, then for the love of god do not buy 1/ Thai fisherman pants, 2/ any t-shirt with a local beer brand 3/ any t-shirt with a flag on it 4/ any hat that "the locals traditionally wear" Other than that, wear whatever.

15. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

metrostyle where are you going? Have you decided yet?

16. MetroStyles

metrostyle where are you going? Have you decided yet?

Indian mountains up north, then flying south (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam). No set itinerary, I'll play it by ear. Might not get to all my stops.

17. level32

level32 Senior member

I'm also heading on an Asian adventure relatively soon. However, my travel partner backed out. Are you traveling by yourself? I'm not sure if I plan on hitting up the same places due to cost/enjoyability by myself.

18. MetroStyles

I'm also heading on an Asian adventure relatively soon. However, my travel partner backed out. Are you traveling by yourself? I'm not sure if I plan on hitting up the same places due to cost/enjoyability by myself.

Going solo. PM me if you will be in one of those areas this summer.

19. West24

West24 Senior member

Going solo. PM me if you will be in one of those areas this summer. I'll need to know so i can pack extra condoms and lube.

[​IMG]

20. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Indian mountains up north, then flying south (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam). No set itinerary, I'll play it by ear. Might not get to all my stops.

Nice! I've been to South India but not the north. A friend of mine went to Bhutan last year and he enjoyed it. Southeast Asia is great but you'd appreciate the culture more if you visit southern India and go to Mammalapuram http://www.journeymart.com/holidays-...q=Mammalapuram and find the architectural connection specially if you Angkor Wat in Cambodia nor visit Bali. Have fun and post some photos when you come back.