• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2-Hole or 4-Hole Buttons?

paborden

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a bunch of unpolished horn buttons to send to my tailor, since all they really have in stock is either polished horn or corcorzo the latter of which I have come to very much dislike.

Of these, I can choose either Two-Hole or the traditional 4-Hole button. The 4s are pretty much ubiquitous except for with certain tailors on Saville row. Curious to hear if anyone has any preference or thoughts on which I should go with.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to four buttons on suits and sport jackets/blazers, though I've experimented with one and two occasionally on sport jackets.

Check out this old thread about two button cuffs.

Ben W

Reaction score
I think the OP is asking about the number of holes in the buttons, not the number of buttons on the jacket. It isn't a detail I've paid any attention to. Without looking, I assume most everything I own has four holes in each button. Four seems to be the more common option. So I'd say go with that unless you are intentionally trying to make the buttons stand out, and then realize that most people are unlikely to notice anyway.

paborden

Reaction score
Yes, holes in buttons! I know this is a very small detail lol

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 and corozo if the tailor is italian, 2 and horn if its british.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, apologies, that's what happens if I try to go through the mornings without coffee. Looks like the OP has some food for thought, and it looks like I've learned something new about the number of holes in individual buttons...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have seen the two hole buttons on jackets occasionally. Oxxford is the only maker I know of that used both regularly. Not certain if they had a protocol for when to use which button but IIRC they used the two hole for sport coats and more casual items and the four hole on suits. Not that this was a hard and fast rule. Just my recollection. After the buttons are obtained and sewn on, doubt you will ever pay attention to this again.

paborden

Reaction score
Thanks all - overthinking yes but for all I know there's some rule that I don't know about, or a functional reason to prefer one over the other. The lining company forces you to choose between 2 and 4 hole buttons, which is where this came from ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads