• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 essential dress shoe for men

monet33

Reaction score
If you had to choose 2 essential dress shoe for men what would it be? I wanted a black and burgundy but not sure what styles to get for each.

Black or Burgundy Captoe?

monet33

Reaction score
You think brown cap toe is more well rounded shoe compared to black?

paxonus

Reaction score
You think brown cap toe is more well rounded shoe compared to black?
Yes. You can wear it with anything other than a black suit--which you don't need anyway. The other option would be a burgundy cap toe. The problem with the black cap toe is that it really only works with a suit. If you wear a suit every day, then you can wear a black cap toe with any dark color suit and look fine. If you aren't a daily suit wearer, the black is much less useful--you can't wear it with a sport coat.

monet33

Reaction score
Thank you paxonus, makes sense since I don't have a black suit(have navy) and would like to wear it with other outfits also. Think the best choice would be a burgundy cap toe

emptym

Reaction score
I'd go with black and burgundy penny loafers, ideally the Alden/Brooks Brothers unlined shell versions. They'd go well with anything from suits to shorts.

For dedicated wear with suits, I'd probably want black captoed oxfords and burgundy wingtip oxfords.

Imo, captoed oxfords of any kind should only be worn with a suit. I don't like captoed bluchers, except for boots.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for slot one - brown cap toe is a great a versatile choice.

I think for slot two it depends a lot on someone's style. A lot of people evangelize the tassel loafer, but also frankly a lot of people just don't like tassel loafters. If you have a very high arch and a very high bridge along with a wide foot (like me) then frankly loafers aren't that comfortable.

I think a black or bugundy loafer is an ok choice.
I also think a bugundy wingtip would be a good choice.
Or, if you wear a lot of more casual looks, even a chukka of some sort.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown and Burgundy are the most versatile colors as long as you don't have black pants or suit. If you do, then you need black shoes.
A cap toe is a more formal type of shoe. If you do have a suit, get the cap toe in the color you will wear with the suit. For the other shoe, a short wing is a great, versatile style of shoe.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
This thread is a bit confusing to me (I'm new here) because I would never have considered brown cap shoes, tassle loafers, chukkas etc as "dress shoes". In my experience dress shoes means shoes to be worn exclusively with formal wear like a tux, morning suit (wedding attire), black tie evening wear, etc.
Even black toecapped Oxfords would be classed as "formal" rather than "dress" in my experience - something to be worn with everyday-wear (which the business / lounge suit is designed for after all) rather than for a "dress" occasion like a wedding, ceremony, evening event, or whatever.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a different frame of reference. What you describe as "dress", I think of as "formal". Most men never deal with "formal" unless they're in a wedding (or their HS prom). In today's environment, putting on a tie and jacket is "dressed up".

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I consider "dress shoes" to be non-athletic/sneakers. Basically anything that can be worn with chino's/suit ect.

I would consider formal wear a Tux.

To answer the original question, I would say whatever you feel comfortable in style wise, not everyone like loafers, or wingtips, or a lot of brogueing.
But as other's have stated, unless you wear a suit everyday, basically stay away from black, it isn't that versatile of a color in the more dressed up/ non-jeans world.

Panama

Reaction score
This thread is a bit confusing to me (I'm new here) because I would never have considered brown cap shoes, tassle loafers, chukkas etc as "dress shoes". In my experience dress shoes means shoes to be worn exclusively with formal wear like a tux, morning suit (wedding attire), black tie evening wear, etc.
Even black toecapped Oxfords would be classed as "formal" rather than "dress" in my experience - something to be worn with everyday-wear (which the business / lounge suit is designed for after all) rather than for a "dress" occasion like a wedding, ceremony, evening event, or whatever.
A dress shirt is a business not casual shirt in the UK. I would then surmise that dress shoes are the same. I have never worn morning dress, black or white tie, lounge suit especially for these occasions except Royal Ascot where I am banned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads