• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 days in Chicago for 10th Anniversary - any recs?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congrats, we just had our 10nth, too.

the senaca is a great hotel, several friends have stayed there and enjoyed themselves
also hotel dana, great location, and several people have enjoyed it

I would recomend tratoria ricardo, bin 36, tang noodles (thai), honey 1 bar b que, gibsons (for steak), and there are a number of really good mexican places on clark and in Pilzen, I get get you some specifics if you want. chicago has an excellent food market

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Park Hyatt for lodging and Alinea for dinner would make for a very nice (albeit expensive) tenth-anniversary celebration.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. The boat tour sounds great.

Now I'm pissed because I waited to confirm something today to book the flights and they are more than double the $300 price from yesterday
mad.gif

Budget is not unlimited so while the Hyatt and Four Seasons look very nice, I think I'll try to save some $ by going with a Westin or W. I can get a suite on pts and it will be fine.

So what is the best location to stay in: River North (Westin: 320 North Dearborn Street), on Michigan Ave. (Westin: 909 North Michigan Avenue) or in the downtown loop (i.e. W - City Center: 172 West Adams Street)?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think there's much of an advantage to staying in the loop over Michigan Ave, but the current Chicago guys would probably know better.

+whatever on the boat tours. Also, the Art Institute just opened their new modern wing. You can go see Femi Kuti and King Sunny Ade at Ravinia, a bit of a hike from downtown but one of the nicest things to do in Chicago in the summer. I'm sure your wife is a big baseball fan, right? Cubs will be in town from the 2nd.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
+whatever on the boat tours. Also, the Art Institute just opened their new modern wing. You can go see Femi Kuti and King Sunny Ade at Ravinia, a bit of a hike from downtown but one of the nicest things to do in Chicago in the summer. I'm sure your wife is a big baseball fan, right? Cubs will be in town from the 2nd.

I was looking into this to go see Pink Martini. Apparently there's a special Ravinia train (or maybe just a normal route) that you can take that drops you off right at the entrance. And if a show runs late, they'll hold the train so people can catch it.

b

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravinia sounds fun but I'm there for less than 36hrs so it may not work out.

So what about the Westin on the river vs. Michigan Ave., is one a better location?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Why would you recommend Google versus asking people who have actual experience with the city?
confused.gif

I probably should have been more explicit but my point is that Chicago is full of things to do and even if someone spent 24 hrs a day for their entire life, they could not experience everything. I mean there's hundreds of live theater performances here every week, and concerts and...

A much better response could be given if specific interests were stated. With that being said, I would highly recommend a room at the W Lakeshore , preferably with a room overlooking Olive Park and Navy Pier. It's a great neighborhood that's close to everything...and the Whiskey Sky Bar is a great lounge on the top floor with a great view.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

So what is the best location to stay in: River North (Westin: 320 North Dearborn Street), on Michigan Ave. (Westin: 909 North Michigan Avenue) or in the downtown loop (i.e. W - City Center: 172 West Adams Street)?

River North would be a much better place to stay for you and the Mrs.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

I would skip the Westin and go with the W; either location is fine, but I prefer the Michigan Ave. one for less proximity to downtown office towers.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I would skip the Westin and go with the W; either location is fine, but I prefer the Michigan Ave. one for less proximity to downtown office towers.

confused.gif
Are you referring to the W lakeshore (on N. Lakeshore linked above) rather than the one in the city center? There is no W on Michigan Ave., just the Westin.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
EL, since budget isn't unlimited, I'd say go to Riccardo Trattoria or mk or Blackbird. Blackbird is a must-hit for lunch. One of few really nice places in Chicago that offers basically the same options at lunch for a lot lower price. You can probably get a lunch w/ appetizer/entree/dessert for around $40 a person.
Riccardo Trattoria or mk for dinner, of Bin 36 like Globe said. All three of those, you can get app, entree, cheese/dessert, and wine for probably around $70 pp.
Any of those 4 restaurants are great picks and I think they represent Chicago and modern Midwestern cuisine pretty well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh, and I second the archetecture cruise, and the art museum. If I lived in toronto and I was in town for the weekend, I'd have a good meal at tratoria ricardo, and have a steak and mexican once each. chinese, vietnamese and thai you can probrably get as good at home

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insomnia-induced boredom. Everything on the map is pretty much within walking distance or a couple dollar cab ride.

chicago.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
Insomnia-induced boredom. Everything on the map is pretty much within walking distance or a couple dollar cab ride.

Awesome, this rules!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

I especially appreciate that you highlighted Yachtie and Despos
smile.gif
BTW, what's on Rush street?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads