• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2-button vs 3-button suits?

Sway23

Reaction score
What's the general differences between a 2-button vs 3-button single-breasted suits, in terms of fit and trendiness? I'm assuming 3-button suits are more classic? Does each style fit a certain body shape better? Also, I think I've read that when wearing a 3-button suit, one should not button the bottom button? What about with a 2-button suit? Do you just button both buttons, or leave the bottom unbuttoned?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been told that 2 button jacket is more 'traditional' than 3 button. But i think this is same argument as chicken vs egg..

If you have V shape torso with big chest go with 2 button. I was always hesitated to wear 2 button suit.. boy was i ever wrong. All of my party suits gonna be 2 button suits. Since I think 2 button suit looks better without tie .. but this is my person thing.. I like to show my skin lol

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 button is the most traditional. 2 button became and stayed more popular for the latter part of the 20th century, but 3 button has made a big comeback and is now seen everywhere.

IMO 3 button suits look best on someone in shape and of average or better height; 2 button is better for someone with a bit of girth, or shorter height. But this is not defining; for example, I think most 3 buttons are cut too high, I like more shirt and tie showing, so I trend more towards lower cut 3 button or high stance 2.

3 button- button the top 2 or middle, never bottom
2 button- top only

MPS

Reaction score
Confirming Bigbadbuff, the two button suit was first seen in the 1950's as a more "modern" look than the three button single breasted.

Will
This is untrue. If you scan the 1930's catalogues of the savile row tailors, you'll find pictures two-button coats.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, catalogues notwithstanding, in the USA John Kennedy was credited with popularizing the two button suit -- he wore a Brooks Brothers two button suit to his inauguration (I'm guessing it wasn't a BrooksEase model
smile.gif
). I agree that most three button suit have the button stance too high. This can be partly overcome by buttoning only the middle button (IMO, you should never button the top button of a 3 button unless the stance is low -- you just sacrafice the beauty of the lapel roll otherwise). I sort of disagree that 3 buttons are better for in shape individuals. Two buttons also look great on someone with a nice chest (geez that sounded dumb), indeed maybe even better than a 3 button. It is true that a fat guy in a 3 button can look very odd (if the girth is a pot belly, the jacket falls very strangely indeed). One thing not mentioned here was cheap 3 buttons vs. cheap 2 buttons. IMO, a fused suit should normally be 2 button. Why? Because the stiffness in the chest and flimsy lapels can be hidden better in a 2 button model. Finally, my favorite cuts are high stance two buttons or low stance three button. Double vents -- my favorite -- may look better on the latter. Still, I just bought a beautiful Oxxford Gibbons model in a medium/dark grey 3.5 season wool, and it is a high stance 2 button that I think will end up being my favorite suit.

Brian SD

Reaction score
When wearing a two or a three button suit, you shouldn't button the bottom button. More often than not, you don't button the top button either on a three-button.

I don't have a preference of two or three button. It's just an arbitrary decision that I would make between the two, and quite often I don't get to make the decision about which I want because I'm going off a good deal and can't do much to alter it.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When wearing a two or a three button suit, you shouldn't button the bottom button. More often than not, you don't button the top button either on a three-button.

I don't have a preference of two or three button. It's just an arbitrary decision that I would make between the two, and quite often I don't get to make the decision about which I want because I'm going off a good deal and can't do much to alter it.
See .. I do not know why people are hesitated to button top button only when wearing 3 button suits. When you see run way shows, I see lot of them wears 3 button jacket with top button closed only. I personally do top button only. I think it looks good .. of course .. it all varies on shape of the lapel, cut of the jacket etc .. But I like middle only clouser the best. if I do not wear a tie, I do not close any button.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Brian SD @ 20 Sep. 2004, 12:13) When wearing a two or a three button suit, you shouldn't button the bottom button. More often than not, you don't button the top button either on a three-button. I don't have a preference of two or three button. It's just an arbitrary decision that I would make between the two, and quite often I don't get to make the decision about which I want because I'm going off a good deal and can't do much to alter it.
See .. I do not know why people are hesitated to button top button only when wearing 3 button suits. Â When you see run way shows, I see lot of them wears 3 button jacket with top button closed only. Â I personally do top button only. I think it looks good .. of course .. it all varies on shape of the lapel, cut of the jacket etc .. Â But I like middle only clouser the best. Â if I do not wear a tie, I do not close any button.
As you state, it depends on the cut. A neapolitan 3 button jacket is DESIGNED only to have the middle button buttoned. koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads