• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 button vs 3 button suits

voltronf0rce

Reaction score
I am buying clothes and am wondering what is the difference between 2 button and 3 button. I know 3 button suits are more common today and 2 button suits are making a comeback.

I just want to know how these suits highlight the body. For example, does one suit flatter taller profiles or heavier bodies? Does it matter what color (dark vs khaki color) I am 5 '10, 155lbs athletic lean guy.

any input?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Either is just as common as far as I can see. I think two button is a good, classic, safe choice for anyone personally.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
I THINK...

-3 buttons, in which the top button is designed to be buttoned flatters just about nobody. I have never seen one that I fell in love with.

-3 buttons, in which the to buttoin is not designed to be buttoned (Lapel roll goes below the top button) is very nice. I've seen several examples that I like. Long vertical line and vast expanse of cloth, I expect, would be benificial to the short to average height.

"I think two button is a good, classic, safe choice for anyone personally" Can't say it any better than that.

Cheers,
D

Broadway

Reaction score
Two-button shows the shirt and tie more, so if you're well coordinated, no reason to hide it behind a 3rd button. But I've seen some very nice 3-buttons where the 3rd button is placed a bit lower. Personal preference, methinks.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 buttons or less, for me.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Just to add my two cents here. A two-button has longer lapels, so is going to have a more sliming affect than a three-button. My preference now is on the two-button, but both will always look good.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tall and thin, however, I have very long legs. So I prefer 2-button suits because the lower buttoning point shows more shirt and tie, elongating my torso and giving me balance. I also like 3-roll-2 jackets very much because I love the 3-dimensional look of a nicely rolled lapel. I would never wear a true 3-button jacket and I was unreasonably annoyed by an alterations tailor who insisted on buttoning the top button of my 3-button jacket every time I tried it on. Sheeesh!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jolly Green

-3 buttons, in which the top button is designed to be buttoned flatters just about nobody.

You just need to button all three
wink.gif

Annex20-20Grant20Cary_20.jpg

Jolly Green

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....................

It can be done well!! Thanks.

It's still my least favorite of the correct SB or even DB styles.

Cheers,
D

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
If it's a two button make sure it's tapered and fits really well or you look like you're hiding a tent in your midsection. I've seen horrid two button sack suits, which are just not my style.

I do prefer the two-button look, if fit is perfect.

voltronf0rce

Reaction score
i was looking into buying a 2 button black wool suit. any suggestions where i can buy one online.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voltronf0rce
i was looking into buying a 2 button black wool suit. any suggestions where i can buy one online.

eek.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
always a good time for another black suit thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads