• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 button vs. 3 button blazers/suits

scraper

Reaction score
Just wondering what is more fashionable at the moment. My local shops are pushing 3 buttons very hard right now. I thought 3 buttons had kind of faded out of style. I personally don't find the 3 button very flattering for my build particularly when worn unbuttoned. What are your thoughts?

prozach1576

Reaction score
I was shopping for a new suit over the weekend and was not happy that I was unable to find a single two-button in a 38R at Macy's or Von Maur.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer two button suits though every italian suit salesman says they're for older people (im 22). Obviously a nice slim fit is required. Anyway when getting my first real suit (ignoring my express for men suit), I was torn between an RL Black Label two button in charcoal and a 3button in navy pinstripes. I got the three button because it had a 3-2 lapel roll.

When getting my second I'll try to get the 2 button charcoal (or medium grey)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Either is fine. Two button is the safest bet for just about everybody, IMHO. I'm not a huge fan of three buttons that roll really high. Those Italian suit salesmen need to get their head out of their own arse if they really tell you that. Sounds just as annoying as record store people.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I prefer two button suits though every italian suit salesman says they're for older people (im 22). Obviously a nice slim fit is required. Anyway when getting my first real suit (ignoring my express for men suit), I was torn between an RL Black Label two button in charcoal and a 3button in navy pinstripes. I got the three button because it had a 3-2 lapel roll.

When getting my second I'll try to get the 2 button charcoal (or medium grey)

Haha, a couple years ago I made the mistake of getting an Express suit for my first (I'm still only 20 and in college, for reference). One day I realized how bad it was and I was so embarrassed. But as an engineering student, it doesn't take much to outdress my classmates at job fairs and interviews, so after getting it altered a ton, it doesn't look too bad. I think my tailor took out about a pound of padding from the shoulders though.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 2B to 3B. However, if I see a 3B I gotta have, I'll get it. For example, I recently bought a charcoal nailhead Zegna 15mil that is terrific and it's 3B. I'd even like to get a 1B but those are rare. Would never get 4B or higher.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
bachbeet: Get Smart has his own clothing line that offers fully canvassed, one button peak lapel suits for $400. www.thickasthievesla.com and check out the thread on it in Streetwear.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
The rule is to keep the jacket buttoned up when not seated at a table. Alternatively, consider wearing a waistcoat; then I suppose you need not keep the jacket buttoned up.

For the casual business suit, was it only for the waistcoat, or for both waistcoat and jacket, one is supposed to let the last (bottom-most) button be unbuttoned? (But I think the last button unbuttoned rule really applies only to the woolen Cardigan)
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by scraper
...<snip>...
I personally don't find the 3 button very flattering for my build particularly when worn unbuttoned. What are your thoughts?

Wanderer

Reaction score
You don't say what build you are. I am tall (6' 2&quot;) and slim and find a high stance 3 button suit to be the most flattering to my shape. I also have suit jackets with a 3 to 2 1/2 roll in the lapel that i also can wear well. When it comes to a 2 button jacket a high button stance is absolutely essential to avoid a quite sumped appearance. My advice is to try them all and find what works for your own particular shape and posture.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I prefer 2B to 3B. However, if I see a 3B I gotta have, I'll get it. For example, I recently bought a charcoal nailhead Zegna 15mil that is terrific and it's 3B. I'd even like to get a 1B but those are rare. Would never get 4B or higher.

I have all 3 styles. I wore a 1B grey pinstripe today and got some compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads