• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 Button Suit - Lapel Rolls to last Button!

Rylsa

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I have had this Sartorio charcoal 2b suit for a while now, but only recently discovered that there is something strange about it. On both the lapels (button and buttonholes), they roll past the top button to the last button. However, 2 button suits are supposed to be worn by buttoning the first button. I have attached pictures below to show you what I mean. Is it possible that the suitmakers intended for it to be worn at the last button, or is this the result of something else? Advice is greatly appreciated!

Reynolds

Reaction score
I can't speak for what the intentions of the designer were, but for what it's worth, I like the roll!

And if it were me, I'd happily continue wearing it, doing the button up from the top, not the bottom.

Rylsa

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I would like to but the lapels folds quite unnaturally to button it from the top, precisely because of the roll.

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
Rylsa, I have a D'Avenza suit that does the same thing. The top buttonhole also is more finished on the back side than the bottom buttonhole, consistent with the intention being that the top button should not be buttoned. If I button the top button the lapel tries to roll past the buttoning point and turns the top button almost sideways. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two roll one; quite a normal alternative but an acquired taste.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is caused by the collar being too short. The point where the lapel rolls is controlled by the collar. If there are outlets at both ends of the collar you can have the top collar removed and have a new under collar made. Will be more difficult if you don't have outlets on the top collar but still possible to fix.

Hard to find someone who can do this but it can be corrected

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
This is a new, unaltered D'Avenza suit, and as I said the finishing on the back of the top buttonhole is far nicer than on the bottom one. I think GBR is correct, and the jacket in my possession is a 2/1 roll (or two roll one if you prefer).

Cheers,
SB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads