• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 Button or 3 Button

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
^^^^ I could be wrong, but there might be a straight line for manton up there.

- B

I was tempted, but thought better of it. I laughed so hard the building shook, however.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
That's basically my position. It's just not aesthetically pleasing. I don't like three button other than on a classic tweed country suit. I assume you must have a figure like a male model. I have a 35" waist and I can just get away with a three button but for 38" and above they are just not as good looking as the two and on the doughnut crowd they look ridiculous.
No, not like a male model. I am bult more like a football player and my shoulders are very wide. The three button coat is flattering on me as is the double breasted suit because they either give more room for the chest or shoulders or both. Additionally, he puts shape into the coats so the waist never seems boxy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
No, because that claim is wrong, and I'm always right.

Wait a second...that reminds of someone...give me a second...I can't quite remember the name.

Oh, so we don't skip essential information, I am, in fact, built like a male model. When women see me, they go, "Wow!"

- B

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Whenever I have an SB suit made in London, the English tailor almost invariably suggests making it a 3 roll 2. I don't think this is purely an American thing.

I posit that the vestigial 3rd button disappeared when factory-made suits really took over the industry. Just another cost saving the absence of which would not be missed -- like working buttonholes.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Oh puhleeeeze. Manton's quip aside, a 6x3 is appropriate anywhere a 6x2 is.

Whether it's appropriate is orthogonal to what I was saying. It looks like a mutt to me: it's like taking a uniform of some sort and making the uniform out of some cloth that isn't normally used. The Dege 6x3 looks like someone took a standard uniform pattern, but made it from some brown chalkstripe instead of navy serge or whatever is normally used. It's in the same category as making a tuxedo out of tweed.

--Andre

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Oh puhleeeeze. Manton's quip aside, a 6x3 is appropriate anywhere a 6x2 is.

boxing[1].gif

I cannot think of anywhere one could wear that suit (as beautiful as it is) without EVERYONE noticing it. For that reason alone it is not as equally appropriate as 6x2.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
I cannot think of anywhere one could wear that suit (as beautiful as it is) without EVERYONE noticing it. For that reason alone it is not as equally appropriate as 6x2.

It's noticed less than you'd think. Plays very much like a 6x2 to the uninitiatied.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Whether it's appropriate is orthogonal to what I was saying. It looks like a mutt to me: it's like taking a uniform of some sort and making the uniform out of some cloth that isn't normally used. The Dege 6x3 looks like someone took a standard uniform pattern, but made it from some brown chalkstripe instead of navy serge or whatever is normally used. It's in the same category as making a tuxedo out of tweed.

--Andre

No. although a good deal less popular than a 6x2, a 6x3 is really a pretty standard cut. Remember, all DB's have their origins in military dress. Dege makes a more military example because of their expertise in uniforms.

As lounge suits, 6x3's have been around forever.

I don't see your tweed tuxedo reference, but it must be something important to you since you've mentioned it twice. Thinking of one?
alien.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would never order a 6x3 DB, but I agree that it is not really that odd or that noticeably different looking. It has been around for a long time, even in civilian life, though I don't think it was ever particularly common, except, perhaps, when DBs were first introduced for lounge suits.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
I dunno. I wear DBs all the time and work at a law firm. I'd feel like a freak wearing the 6x3. It would be like having 4 buttons on an SB. (Both are looks that have historically existed but are very far from the mainstream today.)

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to wear two buttons because I normally wear a vest and that can hardly be seen with a three button suit.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I like to wear two buttons because I normally wear a vest and that can hardly be seen with a three button suit.
This may be your lucky day in terms of suit diversity because you really arent supposed to wear your jacket buttoned with a three piece suit.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This may be your lucky day in terms of suit diversity because you really arent supposed to wear your jacket buttoned with a three piece suit.
smile.gif

Really? Is that a "rule"? I thought you were the scourge of all rules, the vindicator of individual taste ...

Anyway, the statement is preposterous. There is no such rule.

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Here is a jacket made by A&S in 1935 for Peter Sheppard, a son of one of the founders, in 18oz tweed:

mr_sheppard_jacket_4.jpg

- B

Originally Posted by John Ellis
And you think that looks good? Ok.

Here we go again . . .

a boldly patterned jacket . . . check

a really heavy tweed . . . check

At least we have a definite idea of what you don't like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads