2 Brand new suits - wrinkled

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by trazob1, Feb 15, 2016.

1. trazob1

trazob1 Member

Hello everyone, new to styleforum, though I've been lurking for quite a while.

I just had 2 suits made overseas (I believe they're made to measure since I only went in for 2-3 fittings, though the shop calls it bespoke). One is made from a nice, sleek, beautiful navy blue Revenge Super 150s. The other is a gray Zegna Super 160s with blue pinstripes that show only in the proper light.

Both are fully canvassed, fully hand stitched, made to my exact specifications (ticket pockets, keyhole buttons, etc). Unfortunately, I had to leave before taking delivery of the suits, and I am having someone bring them back to me. Were I there personally, I would carry them with me on the plane and baby them so as to avoid damaging them.

But alas, I just had pictures sent to me, and they both look wrinkled like crazy! I went in for the fittings and they were beautiful, perfect lapel roll, just looked amazing. Stupidly, I didn't take pictures then. But I have a couple of pictures attached. The notch lapel one is the navy blue one (extremely washed out, I know - horrible picture) and the peak lapel one is gray, and I have attached two more pictures of the fabric for the latter, because I love how it has a different sheen depending on the lighting.

My question is as follows: Can I take these to a tailor or a dry cleaner and have them re-press the suits back into shape? I'd hate to learn that they have been ruined before I even got a chance to try them on!

Thank you![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

They aren't ruined. You need to find someone competent to give them a proper press, so not your average dry cleaner.

3. trazob1

trazob1 Member

Thank you! So if I took it to a reputable tailor, I should be good, right?

4. chobochobo

Sure, though I'm not sure they will offer this service as it does quite a bit of time to do it properly. And thus it won't be cheap. There are some 'premium' dry cleaners that should be okay too, but without knowing your locality it's difficult to know what's available close to you.

5. trazob1

trazob1 Member

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I heard about Ricardo's as far as tailors, but not sure about premium dry cleaners

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Honest, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

But are you seriously asking whether once a suit is wrinkled, if it's ruined forever?

7. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Both tailors that I use ship the finished product to me. Unless it's a really heavy tweed, the garment is going to get wrinkled during transit. I always take the new suit or jacket to be pressed before I wear it. I have found a dry cleaner (in the South Bay) that I've trained to press a jacket reasonably well. But it's difficult to tell going in.

8. trazob1

trazob1 Member

Lmao! No I'm sure they're not ruined forever, but I honestly didn't know if a pressing will make them look as good as they did as when I went in for the fittings

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Yes they will... do you have a local tailor that you visit often?

10. trazob1

trazob1 Member

Unfortunately, I don't. Other than a black fused suit I had made years ago before I knew anything about suits, I have never really been to a tailor in the US. I used to go to tailors all the time while I was living in Asia, and that's where I had these suits made, too

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

Just hang them up for a few days, possibly in your wet room when taking a shower and the creases will fall out naturally. Have you never had trousers which have creases about the knee or crotch? They cannot be described as "ruined" can they?

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I just want to ask does "Jeeves" provide international ironing service?

I am sure some Japanese members can suggest some domestic dry cleaners which are very professional.

13. trazob1

trazob1 Member

You're right, wasn't sure. Like I said, other than a fused suit I had made years ago, these are essentially my first suits.. Forgive me if my question was foolish

Jeeves? I'm confused..

14. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Jeeves is a well known international dry cleaners... if you have zero contact pethaps that is a safe route to go.

15. chobochobo

Yes, I was thinking of 'Jeeves' too.