• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 Black Suits?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am new to this whole forum and would like some feedback. I currently own 4 suits. I am in the market for a new suit and would like a dark suit for work so it's less prone to dirt/filth. Is it weird that I would buy another black (wool) suit? My current black suit is cotton is is kind of getting filthy and I feel like if I continue to wear it regularly it will deteriorate.
  • Black - Cotton from Club Monaco
  • Navy - Hugo Boss
  • Grey - Banana Republic Monogram
  • Brown - Hugo Boss

I would like one more suit and I am not so interested in pin-stripes. I have seen a few on Hugo Boss website that I love but pin-stripes are difficult to match and can easily go out of style IMHO, whereas a solid will last.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I would like to know, is Macy's a good place to buy suits?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dirt/filth/cat hair will show up way more on a black suit than almost anything else. Get medium or charcoal gray.

chevron

Reaction score
So are you a funeral director or what? Where are you finding places to wear a black suit "regularly"?

I think the obvious pick is a different shade of grey, maybe with a different texture.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow you really have a knack of bringing up things with mark of SF Dis-approval.
Kenneth Cole, black suits and Hugo Boss.

Black is actually quite prone to looking dirty and filthy. You know how in those Head and Shoulders ads with dandruff showing up on shoulders of black dresses? Yeah same thing with dust. You want dark but not that dark.

Besides that, just about everyone else here will tell you not to buy black suit as they should only be worn at funerals.

There are plenty of threads like yours already and doing a search should adequately answer your questions on suit recommendations.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a search and it was so crazy, I'll try another one. Plus in America a black suit is a must. Also, this is turning more into a knock then helping me answer my question. Is it uncommon to get another suit of the same color so that the other one does not get worn out?

juvefan

Reaction score
in america the black suit is common because 98% of the population doesnt know how to dress. you are asking part of the 2% here

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
in America a black suit is a must

Who told you this?

Originally Posted by dieselman89
Is it uncommon to get another suit of the same color so that the other one does not get worn out?

Yes. Variety is good. Stop wearing your black suit every time.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juvefan
in america the black suit is common because 98% of the population doesnt know how to dress. you are asking part of the 2% here
Or perhaps a stupid social convention has been changed by, oh, say, 98% of society? What color suit is appropriate for what occasion is not based in some inherent property of the color itself. It's in a society's perception of that color. To the OP: buy a different color. Black isn't the evil everyone here makes it out to be, but there's no need for two. You need to diversify. Try a nice medium gray. Perhaps a pinstripe. Perhaps a check. But have a variety, and get something other than hugo boss. You can get much nicer suits for the money, Boss is selling suits with approximately the same construction (fused) as a $100 Men's wearhouse suit for 8 times as much.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Or perhaps a stupid social convention has been changed by, oh, say, 98% of society? What color suit is appropriate for what occasion is not based in some inherent property of the color itself. It's in a society's perception of that color.
Well said!

I own ONLY black suits, and I usually wear them with black or dark shirts too. Not everyone can pull the look off but they shouldn't criticize those of us who can.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a midnight blue suit as a happy medium
smile.gif
? It looks black enough under most lighting.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
firstly relax its all in good fun

secondly what everyone means is that you are asking a forum of very style conscious people a question that has been asked many times before(myself included), and the opinion here is (which after some thoght i now agree with) black suits really have have very limited use if you are trying to dress within the confines of certain accepted fashion principles

thus get a nice med gray or blue or charcoal suit and visit the forum often the more you read the more you learn

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wonder, when I read threads like these -- why was it even posted?

Did you just want people to say "Yes dude totally buy another black suit you can never have too many?" Because it seems like you got upset when people gave you an answer you didn't want to hear.

In short, if you want to buy a new black suit, go for it. Nobody here is going to pat you on the back about it, but why should you care?

On the other hand, if you actually wanted advice, learn to take it like a man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics