2.5'', 2.75'' and 3'' tie with 3-3.15'' lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Crimson Red, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Crimson Red

Crimson Red Member

London, United Kingdom and Bangkok, Thailand
    I preferably wear narrow ties with 2.5''-3'' width. Recently I put a trigger on a Gant club blazer with around 3-3.15'' lapel width. Are those tie width appropriate with that size of lapel?

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

You need to look at things in the full context. A 3" lapel on a 36S jacket might call for a different tie than the same lapel on a 48R jacket. Use your eye.

3. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

^This .... and even though the width of tie and the width of the lapel should be in the same ballpark, they do not have to be the identical down to the millimeter (for the readers in the US, North Korea and Liberia: 1 millimeter = ~0.04 inches). So, my guess is that 2.5-3 inch ties with a approximately 3 inch lapel should look fine.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

4. minervau

minervau Senior member

3.5" ties work with 3" lapels, I'd be surprised if 2.5" ties didn't. 3" is a very versatile lapel width and tends to accomodate a fairly wide range of tie types. It's when one wears truly skinny lapels (or really broad ones) that a discrepancy is more noticeable.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Put it on and take a look. Your eyes will tell you more than I can (without seeing the outfit).