• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2, 3, 4 button collars

freakseam

Reaction score
hello, all: just a general inquiry to solicit opinions on the wearability of 2, 3, or 4 button collars. for example, which might one choose for what ocassion or when and where might one opt for one over another? how does, uh, skull size and neck length (did i just type that?
smile.gif
) figure into the equation...discuss.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually like two-button collars, they make a nice visual accent on an open collar, but they're not so fiddly to be a chore buttoning if I'm wearing a tie - I like my shirts to be as versatile as possible. If I was wearing a shirt that was never intended to be worn with a tie - some kind of abstract or graphic print - I might go with a 3- or 4-button collar (I'd probably still find a way to wear a paisley or polka-dotted shirt with a tie.). Usually, a long-ish neck can be camouflaged with a high collar, but you don't necessarily need a super-high collar for multiple buttons - often, they can be stitched on diagonally or even horizontally to minimize the collar height. And some people like to match the number of buttons at their collar with number at their shirt cuff, but there's no rule there, per se.

aybojs

Reaction score
I think two-buttons is a nice number and a good change of pace from regular dress shirts, especially when worn open collar as Nick said. I wouldn't go as far as to make all my shirts two-button, but for the majority of (casual) shirts I order custom I will get two buttons just because I can. I don't think cuff matching is too big a deal; I'd likely get 3 button cuffs when doing barrel cuffs just because it's a change of pace.

Once you get past that, I think it's overkill though, and the mass of buttons looks overly affected and probably is a huge pain if you decide to wear a tie (and if you do it regularly, what's the point since the tie will cover the buttons ?). If you want some examples check out the "Latest styles" tab on JantzenTailor.com. There's a lot of really far out shirts pictured featuring 3 button collars, high button down collars, and even shirts with doubled up buttons on the front placket. I think they're just supposed to show you the extremes, but even as one who likes fashion-forward designs, I find them way over the top.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but even as one who likes fashion-forward designs, I find them way over the top
That reminds me, a couple of seasons ago, the Italian fashion firm Etro released a shirt with a triple-layered collar. Yup, three collars, one on top of the other. I found it... odd, to say the least. I wonder, does anyone buy this type of thing? Or is there a lot of overstock shredded at the end of each season?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That reminds me, a couple of seasons ago, the Italian fashion firm Etro released a shirt with a triple-layered collar. Yup, three collars, one on top of the other.

Dior's Hedi Slimane also does this on a regular basis. I'm not a huge fan, and I've seen a lot of this type of shirt hanging around at sale time, or lingering on Yoox.com, so it's probably not a bestseller, but someone is buying them. And in all fairness, there are stranger things out there.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nick m, oddly enough, that multi layered collar shirt by etro is still hanging about in the corporate etro outlet store in milan, it was there as of may 2003 at least

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting back to the original question, those of you who have read my other posts may remember that i am against shoulder pads and jewelry on men (anything unnecessary or purely for decoration). add multi-button collars to that list. i have to say i prefer the single button collar and never wear anything else. my reasons are based on principle; it only takes one button to close the collar, therefore why add more? for looks you say? let me say that the difference between men's clothing design and that of women is that ours is a question of practicality. that's why no matter how dressed up we are, even if we're wearing a cashmere tuxedo with tails at the oscars, we still have about ten pockets on our clothes. i think the multi-button collars are something the italians came up with to be different, and as usual, when the italians do something, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. i also prefer one-button cuffs, except on the turn back, james bond style. i think the multi-button collars are just a fad which will hopefully die soon. you would be wise to take my opinions with a grain of salt, as i know i am in the minority here (i also prefer one or three-button suits and never wear double breasted). well... to each his own.

bryce330

Reaction score
Hmmm... if you're so concerned with "practicality", why the preference for three button suits?  You only need one button to close the suit.  

Personally, I like the two-button closure on shirts but I think anything more than two looks kind of silly.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bryce, i like three button suits for a couple of reasons; first, i get cold easily, so i like the high stance. i live in los angeles and never need a topcoat, but being able to button up my suit a little higher on a january night helps. second, there is very little selection in ready-to-wear one-button suits. i understand everyone has their own style, that's the way it should be.
wink.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two button collars are bad ass. They add some great flair to a casual shirt. I order all my Jantzen casual shirts with two button collars. Three buttons is a little much. You really don't see many two/three button collars in America, whereas in Italy, it's the norm.

I wouldn't put two buttons on the collar of a shirt that I intended to wear with a tie. Buttoning them is cumbersome.

This is my 400th post. yaaaay......

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting back to the original question, those of you who have read my other posts may remember that i am against shoulder pads and jewelry on men (anything unnecessary or purely for decoration). add multi-button collars to that list. i have to say i prefer the single button collar and never wear anything else. my reasons are based on principle; it only takes one button to close the collar, therefore why add more? for looks you say? let me say that the difference between men's clothing design and that of women is that ours is a question of practicality. that's why no matter how dressed up we are, even if we're wearing a cashmere tuxedo with tails at the oscars, we still have about ten pockets on our clothes. i think the multi-button collars are something the italians came up with to be different, and as usual, when the italians do something, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. i also prefer one-button cuffs, except on the turn back, james bond style. i think the multi-button collars are just a fad which will hopefully die soon. you would be wise to take my opinions with a grain of salt, as i know i am in the minority here (i also prefer one or three-button suits and never wear double breasted).  well... to each his own.
Double-breasted suits are so trendy; and what the hell do those idiotic neapolitans know about clothing anyway?

naturlaut

Reaction score
matadorpoeta: actually, we don't need buttons to close our shirt collar --- your tie knot will close it; plus if you intend the shirt to be open-necked, all the more we don't need any collar button(s). Also, did you say you are against shoulder pads?  Cool, because I am against wearing ties --- what's the function of a tie anyways?.?  And why turn-back cuffs in James Bond style? --- what a waste of fabric.

But seriously, I don't think the two-button collar is not as cumbersome to button --- provided that the shirtmaker had made necessary calculations of button placements.  I have Barba and Borrelli double collar-button shirts, and the way they are 'aligned' it was not difficult to button at all.  I could imagine the difficulty when the two buttons are vertically on top of one another.

Also, I like a higher collar Neapolitan shirts once in a while, and if you only have one button on such a high collar shirt, it would look quite odd.  The high collar makes one's neck slimmer --- of course, the collar points had to be styled just right too.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thracozaag, the neapolitans make the best suits, in my opinion. i was unaware that double breasted suits were trendy, but i'm adding another post to say this: whether or not something is trendy should not influence your decision to buy it. i know striped shirts have been very trendy for a couple of years, but i continue to buy them and always will, because i look good in stripes. it's difficult for me to find a one-button suit ready to wear, unless i want to drop $10k at the bijan store for a white one. that's because these suits are not the "in thing" right now, and 99% of men want to buy the "in thing" because they don't trust their own taste. about three years ago i used to watch an italian soccer program called "novantesimo minuto" (90th minute). during the commercials, i noticed that some guys wore shirts with two button collars, and i thought to myself that pretty soon the style would become trendy in america, not because it looked good, but just because the italians were doing it. sure enough, i was right. i think people need to think for themselves about what looks cool, and stop depending on the europeans to dictate fashion. i live in l.a. and have had many european friends. believe me, you wouldn't want any of them dressing you.
biggrin.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting back to the original question, those of you who have read my other posts may remember that i am against shoulder pads and jewelry on men (anything unnecessary or purely for decoration). add multi-button collars to that list. i have to say i prefer the single button collar and never wear anything else. my reasons are based on principle; it only takes one button to close the collar, therefore why add more? for looks you say? let me say that the difference between men's clothing design and that of women is that ours is a question of practicality. that's why no matter how dressed up we are, even if we're wearing a cashmere tuxedo with tails at the oscars, we still have about ten pockets on our clothes. i think the multi-button collars are something the italians came up with to be different, and as usual, when the italians do something, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. i also prefer one-button cuffs, except on the turn back, james bond style. i think the multi-button collars are just a fad which will hopefully die soon. you would be wise to take my opinions with a grain of salt, as i know i am in the minority here (i also prefer one or three-button suits and never wear double breasted). Â well... to each his own.
Double-breasted suits are so trendy; and what the hell do those idiotic neapolitans know about clothing anyway?
Sarcasm: 1: A sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain. 2: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed toward an individual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads