• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(2/17: FOUND!!!!!!!!!) Help me pick out my 1st "big boy" Watch

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
end for quick n' dirty pic =)

So I know there's another "first watch?" thread right below this but I think my topic is different enough to warrant a personal thread.

I'm generally pretty thoughtful when starting threads in this coveted area so dammit, gimme my chance for Godssake.
sneaky2.gif

=====================================================================

So I really want to get my first "big Boy" watch and retire a Tissot I've been wearing for the last couple years. When i say nice, I mean "engaged software co staff" nice and not "I'm a young single investment banker with a trust fund" nice.

ie I have $2.5k MAX to spend although would be Ultra happy to spend $2k flat.

I know by now some purists have lost interest already due to the measly price tag I'm willing to fork over, but those of you still around, gimme some suggestions based on

quality
Longevity
re-sale value

Where to buy!?!?!? (big one)

My dream watch is an IWC Porty or a Big Pilot, but wishful thinking at this point. I really like minimalist designs with a big ol' face and large numbers. although I heartily enjoy the look of U-Boat watches, I'm not going to buy one based on the connoisseurs' reviews agains tmy 3 above but please correct me if I'm wrong as price wise, they're up my alley.

I've also recently really enjoyed the look of Zenith El Primero Chrono watch though i wouldn't call it minimalist but it still looks pretty clean and classy/

If ya'll can help, I'd like. If ya'll wanna flame, I'll take it too
bounce2.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choice (and I'm looking in the same price range) is the Omega Speedmaster Pro. Probably not the best for resale value or in terms of minimalist design, but well made, timeless, and has a nice history behind it.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega Railmaster with the coaxial automatic movement. Wear it on the bracelet for a sporty look, change it to a strap for a dress look. Available new for around $2k. Available in mid-size, regular and XXL, with or without date. Twotone
railmaster.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the same budget for a watch and went with the IWC Spitfire and never regretted it one second.
1rfx10.jpg

You can get the IWC Mark XVI too, another beautiful watch.

sw20

Reaction score
Consider a new Rolex datejust stainless-steel w/blk face....fairly versatile, decent brand...sort of a respectable, but nothing great, Porsche 997S of watches

Alternatively, buy no watch and keep time off Blackberry or iPhone until have cash to buy watch one truly desires

Probably better value to buy only one remarkable watch that one can enjoy daily for decades than a series of mediocre $2K watches

Watches are just jewelry; none of 'em can accurately tell time anyway vs any smartphone (which one always carries)

nohomo

Reaction score
Go read the last several pages of the jcrew f/w thread in sw&d.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
Consider a new Rolex datejust stainless-steel w/blk face....fairly versatile, decent brand...sort of a respectable, but nothing great, Porsche 997S of watches

Alternatively, buy no watch and keep time off Blackberry or iPhone until have cash to buy watch one truly desires

Probably better value to buy only one remarkable watch that one can enjoy daily for decades than a series of mediocre $2K watches

Watches are just jewelry; none of 'em can accurately tell time anyway vs any smartphone (which one always carries)

Valid point. But I've no patience and want to just make the plunge. I won't be able to buy the watch i want for quite some time and if I don't pull the trigger on something "mediocre" soon, I may lose my oppty (We're thinking about out first house right now too)

truly amazes me how so many of you guys can plunge $7k into a friggin piece of metal
laugh.gif
some two, some several.
facepalm.gif

alternatively, I'd like to get a $2k watch, wear it for several years, and if I can get 1/2 back in resale, it would position me to make the upgrade much easier.

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Rolex
peepwall[1].gif

TBH Rolex watches arent' that bad, but I just couldn't see myself wearing one. If I had a "style." then rolex just wouldn't fit into this category.

thansk for tall your thought out responses guys. Really appreciated my goal is to take something away from this thread one way or another.

leon12

Reaction score
When I was in your position, I waited patiently for a discontinued white Mark XV to pop up.. IWC rules.

1404148728_d6c60e8413_b.jpg

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leon12
When I was in your position, I waited patiently for a discontinued white Mark XV to pop up.. IWC rules.

Man, Honestly, I dunno how long I'd have to wait to be able to legitimately purchase:

iwcJPG.jpg

Or even HALF of that for this:

IWC_Portuguese_Automatic.jpg

I'm getting a $2.5k watch.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads