• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(2/17: FOUND!!!!!!!!!) Help me pick out my 1st "big boy" Watch

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAM241-I_1.JPG

gall_panerai305.jpg

panerai_pvd__-thumb-450x328.jpg

pam60_lg.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It must be that the watches are a bit to far out of my comfort zone ' cause I still see a big ass pimp case (I've heard some people go as fas as to gild (part of) their watch.
smile.gif
) I'll admit though the first has a kind of sixties (?) vibe. I'll edit in stride with you, that last one is truly butt ugly.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai?
They're popular, and I can see the appeal, but I wouldn't want one as my onewatch. Nice to have for casual dress though. I might pick up one eventually as a third watch (after my next purchase: a JLC Reverso GMT). But the OP mentioned that he works at a software company, so I imagine he does not have much need for a dressy watch, in which case the Panerai works quite well.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I'm not a fan either. Don't hate them, just not my cup 'o tea.

I reserve my hate for more important things like the AP Royal Oak. God, I hate that watch.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
No, I'm not a fan either. Don't hate them, just not my cup 'o tea.

I reserve my hate for more important things like the AP Royal Oak. God, I hate that watch.

Ditto, particularly regarding the RO. Although I actually lean towards liking Panerai, I just know with my wrists it's never going to happen (I wear an Air King).

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Ditto, particularly regarding the RO. Although I actually lean towards liking Panerai, I just know with my wrists it's never going to happen (I wear an Air King).

I think the OP chose a nice looking watch but I can't see it as a "one watch" which isn't necessarily a problem
tongue.gif

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. They are hideous. Definitely big watch trend.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl

What trend are you referring to if they've been making similarly sized watches for decades?

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
What trend are you referring to if they've been making similarly sized watches for decades?

you know what they say about people with small wrists

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl

Originally Posted by teddieriley

I think that may be sarcasm on the part of btinl - if I remember well, he's a Panerista. Or am I mistaking you for someone else with a similar handle?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I'll admit though the first has a kind of sixties (?) vibe.

I'll edit in stride with you, that last one is truly butt ugly.

I agree with you and I think I can rest my case
smile.gif

That said, let's not derail the thread too much. FStyles, congrats on your new purchase - wear it in good health - don't go crazy on the straps purchases
wink.gif

I don't why any time someone posts about a Panerai watch, all the haters come out of the wood work and start the ridiculous circus of the big watch trend again. It's really odd how people are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads