• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$2,000 for Briefcase

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Recently received a Tod's Grained Leather briefcase (http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/tods/grained-leather-briefcase/604098) from my wife for a birthday gift. I love the briefcase, but I need something a bit larger for a computer and my tendency for carrying a lot of files, iPad, etc.

The Tod's was $2,000 before tax, but I'm willing to spend more to find something i like. I have a satchel style bag right now and am looking for something different. Am debating stepping up to a Berluti Deux Jours, but not sure I can stomach the $3,850 price tag.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
I have the Berluti Deux Jours. Love it. Did't realise it was that much.

BTW, I also have a Berluti Scientifique. It's bigger and more distinctive. I always get good comments from people when I use it.

PMC

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. Cool looking briefcase in post #15. What is it?

rwtc

Reaction score
Berluti un jour / deux jour most likely

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. Cool looking briefcase in post #15. What is it?

That's Berluti. You can usually spot a Berluti because they often have a painted-on faux patination.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's Berluti. You can usually spot a Berluti because they often have a painted-on faux patination.

The growth marks look real (to me) at least, looks like best quality neck! Do you mean the patination round the edge though?

Awful looking handle though IMO

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The growth marks look real (to me) at least, looks like best quality neck! Do you mean the patination round the edge though?

Awful looking handle though IMO

Yea, I mean the darkening around the edges.

It's a signature of theirs.

deux-jours-leather-briefcase-brown-berluti_3.jpeg
c1aa455f-d13d-45a3-ac4d-0e0d25e510d1.jpeg
brown-berluti-venezia-scritto-leather-deux-jour-briefcase.jpeg

For some reason, their faux patination reminds me of the interior decor of those Italian restaurants that start every meal with a free basket of infinite breadsticks.

fresh-breads.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yea, I mean the darkening around the edges.

It's a signature of theirs.

View attachment 1647183 View attachment 1647184 View attachment 1647185

For some reason, their faux patination reminds me of the interior decor of those Italian restaurants that start every meal with a free basket of infinite breadsticks.

View attachment 1647186

lol at the bread!

I notice none of their own product photos are massively growth marky like the original #15 photo. Funny that! At least you can see it comes from a cow and it hasn’t got a layer of pigment over the top though, even if it’s the cheapest cut of leather they could find

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol at the bread!

I notice none of their own product photos are massively growth marky like the original #15 photo. Funny that! At least you can see it comes from a cow and it hasn’t got a layer of pigment over the top though, even if it’s the cheapest cut of leather they could find

The exact experience of the spaghetti you see on the menu versus the spaghetti they bring out at those "free breadstsicks" restaurants

Leander walker

Reaction score
For longevity can't go wrong with Ghurka,Swaine Adeney,Equus,Ettinger. For more entry level price,Tusting makes a very good product,although a bit casual. Don't understand the obsession with Frank Clegg. Pedestrian styles at premium prices. Colonel Littleton is a lot more interesting and a good value. All these brands use either bridle or full grain very high quality leather,not glazed or coated. The leathers naturally patina and age quite well. Brown ages wonderfully while black pretty much just stays black

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 30+ year old briefcase from Ottino in Florence.
Since I have been retired for about a decade, it hasn't seen
hard use. However, it is still very presentable and the lock still works.
I don't see the exact model on their website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics