1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

1ST Visit to Tokyo

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Aug 1, 2008.

1. geoff

geoff Active Member

So much to respond to, I'll just focus on what I remember:

Sukiyaki is sweet, I'm not really a fan. For good restaurant info, check www.bento.com in either English or Japanese or the Japan section on Chow.com (generally more expensive places).

There are lots and lots of interesting neighborhoods that some people seem to have missed out on. For shopping, check the fish/everything market in Ueno. It's not high-end, but there are lots of small shops and some interesting things. Ginza and Omotosando have the high end shops, along with Roppongi.

Shibuya to see the younger culture, a little hip-hop shopping and cheap food. Harajuku, weird and fun.

Yoyogi park is one of my favorite places in the warm weather, it's amazing what you can see.

Shinjuku, lots of lights and tons of drinking establishments.

I suggest getting a tour book or two and following them, there is good temple/shrine info and they will all have decent public transportation maps.

Eat ramen, good yakitori, shabu-shabu, takoyaki, okono/monja-yaki, a japanese trad'l breakfast, japanese fast food burgers like Mos or Freshness, sushi.

If you have the wallet, I can recommend lots of high end places in Tokyo, Bombance and Dai San Harumi, Tapas Molecular Bar in the Mandarin Oriental.

2. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Hit the small Yakitori places in Shinjuku's back streets (just besure to ask the price before you sit down as some are fucking ridiculous!), Go to Daikanyama, some of the best mens shopping there if you are into getting some exclusive Japanese brands, also its a nice area to walk around. If you feel like it walk to Ebisu from there and hit up Ebusu Garden Place. Shibuya is ok, just ok, pretty overrated really, I am tired of going there. Avoid Gas Panic, its a gajin bar big time, shit music and the Shibuya one might as well be some dude's basement as its fucking tiny, and the girls there are ugly and still wont dance. Roppongi is gaijin central, though Mori tower/the hills is a nice area. Go to Ginza, even if just to gawk. While there walk around Hibiya---->Imperial Palace (try not to swim in the moat naked. A white guy did that a couple months ago, supposedly he was drunk and English). Hmmm, Ueno is kinda cool, some temples and shit there. Odaiba is fun in a Cheezy view of the future from the 1980s kinda way (hit the big mall there, its designed to look like a Roman market and the cieling changes with the time (bright and sunny or dark and starry)

Ill try to think of more

3. geoff

geoff Active Member

Shibuya is overrated if you live here, if you're visiting Tokyo it's a different story.

Shibuya crossing is one of, if not THE busiest pedestrian intersections in the world. Visitors get a kick out of it, and then there's the gyaru.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Shibuya is overrated if you live here, if you're visiting Tokyo it's a different story.

Shibuya crossing is one of, if not THE busiest pedestrian intersections in the world. Visitors get a kick out of it, and then there's the gyaru.

Agreed. The only reason I go to Shibuya now is if I'm invited to specific events. Same with Shinjuku. But I've spent plenty of time in both and there are plenty of good restaurants and clubs in both areas.

5. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

shibuya is a must and that intersection is just nuts. although quite touristy, its something everyone should experience and take in.