• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st time suit shopping in NYC tomorrow

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Off to NYC tomorrow to do suit shopping. This is going to be my first real suit. Tried on a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 36S and the thing fit really well, but am looking for something a little higher end. The feel of some of the Canali suits is amazing compared to the BB and rightfully so for more then twice the price.

The plan is to stop at at BB on Madison Ave, Canali on Broad St., Ralph Lauren on Madison Ave, Valentino on Madison Ave, Zegna on 5th ave and Paul Stuart on Madison Ave and possibly shoot down to Nordstroms Rack for some shoes.

As 36S is hard to find, any suggestions for additional stores to stop by for something comparable to the Fitzgerald fit wise, but better quality and material? What would be the one best department store in the city for a variety in such a small size?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your visiting alot of nice stores and I'd add Bergdorf Goodman to the list.

Harper

Reaction score
You may as well consider Saks and Barney's as well.

Since 36S will be hard to find why not call ahead just to make sure they have stuff in stock before you waist a trip. The last time I stopped into the Zegna store on 5th they barely had any 40R's so...

Sharris

Reaction score
Definitely stop by the Bergdorf Goodman Men's Shop

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart has a good range of sizes. Saks often does. BB can get almost any size or do a Made to measure for you. That way you can get what you want and not just what is on the rack.

I would have in mind the fabric and color that you want. Good luck and post how it went.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking and have the money for Paul Stuart and Bergdorf,
you might want to check out Jay Kos, for beautifully made distinctive
tasteful clothing and Massimo Bizzochi. I'm an ultra conservative dresser,
but I appreciated their special qualities. As I do Paul Stuart.

http://www.jaykos.com

http://www.massbizz.com/about.htm

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the posts. It was a very good trip into the city. I really like the fit of the BB Fitzgerald, the Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, and the Ralph Lauren Black Label. Unfortunately the OTR 36S Canali and Zegna cuts were all slightly too big in the shoulders.

Paul Stuart is not one of the brands I see a lot on here. The quality seemed very good, and the salesman very nice and professional. Any input on how it compares to the others and how it compares to the Canali or Zegna in terms of material and construction quality. Also, I was looking for a single vent, but all the Paul Stuart's are dual vents which was a bit of a bummer. Thanks.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps, but Paul Stuart is made by Samuelsohn in Canada. Nice, fully canvassed suits, if a tad pricey. Not sure how they compare to Canali or Zegna, but I'm sure they are reasonably similar in terms of construction quality.

Acer

Reaction score
you all do know that osama bin laden is dead, right? i don't understand how you can be talking about clothes at such a time.

OBL IS DEAD!

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brianpore
Thanks everyone for the posts. It was a very good trip into the city. I really like the fit of the BB Fitzgerald, the Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, and the Ralph Lauren Black Label. Unfortunately the OTR 36S Canali and Zegna cuts were all slightly too big in the shoulders.

Paul Stuart is not one of the brands I see a lot on here. The quality seemed very good, and the salesman very nice and professional. Any input on how it compares to the others and how it compares to the Canali or Zegna in terms of material and construction quality. Also, I was looking for a single vent, but all the Paul Stuart's are dual vents which was a bit of a bummer. Thanks.

I like Paul Stuart a lot, though I admit part of that is that I love the actual store, which the NYT described as like a "the walk-in closet of an Illuminati Grand Master." Great selection of sportcoats, and from what I gather the suits are good quality, on par with say Corneliani or Canali. The Phineas Cole stuff is nice if a bit aggressive. They had a purple tweed jacket on sale in there recently I really liked but was a size too small.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brianpore
Tried on a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 36S and the thing fit really well, but am looking for something a little higher end.

Look at the Golden Fleece section, they are available in the Fitzgerald fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads