• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Bespoke - Huntsman or Richard Anderson?

Canary Wharf

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've just registered although I have used the board as a tool in some of my sartorial decision making for a year or two.

Having done as much research as I can I'm now ready to take my first step into bespoke tailoring and need some advice.

I'm 100% sure that I want the Huntsman "look" or house style but I don't know whether to go to Huntsman or Richard Anderson Ltd.

It's not the price difference that is making me think twice, more the stories I have read about changes at Huntsman over the last 10 years and I'm wondering where I will get the best quality workmanship, service and aftercare.

There have been a few similar threads started over the last two years but with little response and I would appreciate an up-do-date POV if anyone has used either of these firms in the last year or two.

Thank you very much in advance.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
I have used Huntsman and A & S and Len Logsdail. I have not used Richard Anderson, but I hear nothing bu good things. I love A&S especially their double breasted. As for Huntsman I love their one button signature jacket. I have nothing but respect for Peter Smith and Patrick Murphy and I can safely say that Huntsman is on safe footing now. Peter and Patrick are thorough, provide exceptional service, and a focused on living up to the Huntsman brand. I have to catch a flight, but if you have any questions, ask away.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Nonsie
I have used Huntsman and A & S and Len Logsdail. I have not used Richard Anderson, but I hear nothing bu good things. I love A&S especially their double breasted. As for Huntsman I love their one button signature jacket. I have nothing but respect for Peter Smith and Patrick Murphy and I can safely say that Huntsman is on safe footing now. Peter and Patrick are thorough, provide exceptional service, and a focused on living up to the Huntsman brand. I have to catch a flight, but if you have any questions, ask away.

Huntsman has had a very addition to the old team: David Ward , former Poole and Norton...

RSS is the master es Richard Anderson on the forum.

Canary Wharf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Huntsman has had a very addition to the old team: David Ward , former Poole and Norton... RSS is the master es Richard Anderson on the forum.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Lord Nonsie
Ok. Cheers.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canary Wharf
I've been waiting long enough. Will be 35 later this year...

You're actually doing the right thing if bespoke is your dream...

Why spending thousands of pounds on Brioni ,Kiton if you want a bespoke suit from the row...

Pick your tailor and go for it because it is a great personal journey.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opinions on Kilgour and Oswald Boateng? They seem to have the most modern house cuts on the row.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kilgour is very fine, if very expensive. Their shoulder padding is often a little stiff, but the quality of cut and general workmanship is very high in my limited experience (from a while ago).

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Research is good, of course, but walking up and down the row and seeing them and talking to the people who make them may change your mind. What is lacking about research is those who buy from others on the row, that don't all write, so you are missing what would be written comparison. Venturing into shops of other tailors not much written here, if at all, can prove to be well worth your time. You don't want to buy because of somebody else's hype. If these places have coats you can try on to sorta get an idea of what they are like (a serious ill fit could be a misrepresentation) you may indeed choose one company over the others. A coat made for you, so not for anybody else should, feel better. A tailored coat should feel comfortable when finished, that is made just for you.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
You're actually doing the right thing if bespoke is your dream...

Why spending thousands of pounds on Brioni ,Kiton if you want a bespoke suit from the row...

Pick your tailor and go for it because it is a great personal journey.

I agree. Enjoy the journey!

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Hey CW,

I came across this post. Did you decide between the two? I'm curious as I have recently commissioned a Huntsman.

EFBenson

Reaction score
I was mildly surprised to see a three button SB jacket in Richard Anderson's window yesterday... had them down as one button all the way...

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree. Choosing a bespoke suit is indeed a personal journey to your own personal style so whatever brand you choose, just enjoy the entire bespoke experience.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have determined that Huntsman is the house style with which you are comfortable then go for that. You may regret another, however worthy, choice. It is a personal journey so follow your first instincts and ENJOY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads