• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my neighborhood there is a 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL for sale by owner with 52,000 miles. The second owner is asking $6250. The car looks perfect. Am I getting a deal or a nightmare? Does anyone know about maintenance on a 10-year-old VW?

Thanks in advance.

redtree00

Reaction score
As long as you have a local (non-dealer) VW mechanic, the upkeep will be moderate for a european car. Significantly higher than anything japanese or american.

Are you aware that the Cabrio is a chick car ?
I can't say I have ever seen a straight male own one.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything Mr. Redtree said.

The price does nor appear to be a spectacular deal. The engine is not really a fire-breathing beast either. Tthe car does not appear to have been driven much given the mileage and condition and if you really like it should serve it's purpose just fine. As far as VW reliability, some people had horrible luck while others had no issues whatsoever. If you have an independent mechanic who can work on the car at reasonable rates you should be OK.

Other similar cars you may want to consider are Mazda Miata, Toyota MR-2, Ford Mustang Convertible, and Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertible.

jkennett

Reaction score
I'd be very weary of buying a 10 year old VW. Repairs won't be cheap, and it is very likely they will be necessary.

billiebob

Reaction score
That price seems very high to me, for a 10 yr old VW, but I'm totally out of touch of the convertible market. Jettas of this vintage (right before the re-design) can go for a little as 3K.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VW, especially of that era and before (I don't know about now) were not known to have the best electricals. The more manual accessories (seat, windows, locks, etc) the better.

Maybe they've gotten all the ironed out with the newer models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads