1987..... Armani was king

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oldskool, Jan 15, 2005.

1. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

I walk by the Armani store on Madison and it just doesnt do it for me any more. Remember when Armani was GOD??? I walked by the store and the clothes in the wondow dont even look wearable. I mean they are beautiful, but only for the international jet set. I feel like everything has returned back to classic english/american style. Even European suits seem to have taken a turn for the conservative. Talk about Lucien sweaters... what about the king of style?? http://www.giorgioarmani.com/index.html

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I thought Richard Gere's style in "American Gigolo" had muted almost traditional fabrics. The cut was unconstructed as opposed to the huge shoulders of the later '80s. It was the first movie that I ever saw that openly discussed men's style, which made the subject matter of the discussion (Armani) a sensation. The other significant style of the early '80s was prep fueled by worship of old money (by new money) under President Reagan. This latter "style" was also related to Savile Row RTW under "old" and therefore prestigious names (old English titled money, supposedly) which I remember Louis Boston carried in quantity and at high prices. Don't think any of these English goods measured up in quality (certainly not in fabric quality) to the Italians.

3. arvi

arvi Senior member

i feel much the same way..also whenever i've gone in italy i made a beeline to the armani and/or emporio armani store..the last few times i didn't even bother..i much prefer the tailoring of the neopolitans or the many unsung italian manufactures..however, i'm still thankful to Sig. Armani..my passion for italy and her culture, style, fashions, food, people,ecc. derive from my exposure to his sense of style.

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(oldskool @ Jan. 15 2005,20:14) I walk by the Armani store on Madison and it just doesnt do it for me any more. Â Remember when Armani was GOD??? I walked by the store and the clothes in the wondow dont even look wearable. Â I mean they are beautiful, but only for the international jet set. Â
    i feel much the same way..also whenever i've gone in italy i made a beeline to the armani and/or emporio armani store..the last few times i didn't even bother..i much prefer the tailoring of the neopolitans or the many unsung italian manufactures..however, i'm still thankful to Sig. Armani..my passion for italy and her culture, style, fashions, food, people,ecc. derive from my exposure to his sense of style.
    The last time I was in an Armani store was Chicago. Everything was cut for heavy men and overpriced. Next.