• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1980s television programs

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This list would be woefully incomplete without The Equalizer. And Fraggle Rock, heh.

Regards,
Huntsman

seanchai

Reaction score
This thread is five hours long and no one has mentioned Miami Vice?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is StyleForum, ya know.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
This thread is five hours long and no one has mentioned Miami Vice?
Miami Wice is number one new show! Yes, I do that every time someone mentions Miami Vice. I can't help it. I do it in real life too.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides those already mentioned: Macgyver (which amazes me no one mentioned it) and one of my personal favorites Sledge Hammer.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Besides those already mentioned: Macgyver (which amazes me no one mentioned it) and one of my personal favorites Sledge Hammer.

I had forgotten about Sledge Hammer, I never missed an episode, I think that was my favorite of all, followed by macgyver, dunno how I could have forgotten.

Now excuse me while I take some bubble gum, a few butt hairs and a paper clip to plan my escape.

Millerp

Reaction score
Started in the 80s...lasted into the 90s

The greatest shoe salesman of all time....Al Bundy

Married with Children

bundygu3.jpg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Night Court, The Cosby Show (not one of my personal favorites, but a ratings powerhouse).

DeSica

Reaction score
Fox brought out some really good stuff in the eighties, like The Gary Shandling Show, and the already mentioned Married With Children and of course, The Simpsons.

The king of of it all, though, would have to be Seinfeld.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeSica
Fox brought out some really good stuff in the eighties, like The Gary Shandling Show, and the already mentioned Married With Children and of course, The Simpsons. The king of of it all, though, would have to be Seinfeld.
Seinfeld started in 1990, great show though. The pilot aired July 5, 1989, which kinda sucked.

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Seinfeld started in 1990, great show though. The pilot aired July 5, 1989, which kinda sucked.

I included it because it did start in the eighties, technically (as The Seinfeld Chronicles), but it really should be considered more of a nineties show. Ditto with The Simpsons.

I didn't mind the pilot. By the time the Cable Boy episode aired, I was hooked. Most people were buzzing about it after The Contest. Almost all fence sitters I knew were converted with that episode.

I was part of the record setting attendance at Skydome for the Cheers series finale/Seinfeld season finale (the one where they do the pilot for Jerry). I think more people were there for Seinfeld than for Cheers.

Here's a show nobody mentioned (I think)- Doogie Howser, MD

DeSica

Reaction score
Did anyone mention Michael Mann's other TV masterpiece, Crime Story?

Kasper

Reaction score
I wonder if television will ever again reach the creativity of the 1980s. Does anyone remember Riptide that had a robot that helped solve crimes? You really don't see many robots on TV anymore. I think that my favorite crime show has to be Stingray with Equalizer as a close second.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I wonder if television will ever again reach the creativity of the 1980s. Does anyone remember Riptide that had a robot that helped solve crimes? You really don't see many robots on TV anymore. I think that my favorite crime show has to be Stingray with Equalizer as a close second.

21 Jump Street all the way.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
21 Jump Street all the way.

Can you remember any war based TV shows from the 1980s? The only one I can think of now is Tour of Duty which was like a cinematic masterpiece broadcast on a weekly basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads