• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1980s Ferrari?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 1982-1985 Ferrari 400 or 412.

Anyone have experience owning one? I have a feeling it will cost me not a lot to buy -18-15K - but a fortune to upkeep.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23

Anyone have experience owning one? I have a feeling it will cost me not a lot to buy -18-15K - but a fortune to upkeep.

Styling on the 400/412 was intentionally modest because ransom-inspired abductions were frequent at that time in Italy. The year models you listed are all fuel injected. So, your maintenance will be slightly less expensive there over the earlier carbureted models. Nevertheless, they are V-12 Ferrari cars and they come with certain maintenance requirements that a Chevrolet sedan lacks.

The devil is in the details. Check to see the exhaust is in good shape. They suffer from bottoming on driveways and speed bumps. Oil coolers were known to crack frequently. Just be aware that an engine tune-up will likely run $3,000 or more, a valve job can easily approach $10,000, and an engine rebuild will be well north of $20,000. So, be sure to get a complete exam and report before you purchase. Try not to purchase someone else's deferred maintenance!

If you elect to get one of the automatic transmission models, that part of the car will be bulletproof. It's a GM 3-speed automatic. The trade-off for that reliability is that your acceleration from standstill is relatively sluggish because the GM transmission has a fairly high first gear. Oh, and the top speed is lower than the five-speed transmission cars. But, it's a touring car anyway. So, half a second or so slower to sixty miles per hour and a top speed of "only" one hundred fifty miles per hour shouldn't be the primary concern. You can cruise forever at one hundred twenty miles per hour and the car merely yawns!

No Ferrari is inexpensive to operate. Every gentleman should own a Ferrari at some point in his life. The 400s are a good way to get the true Ferrari Grand Touring experience without the expense of the more desirably styled models. I would rather drive a 400 than one any of the contemporary 308 models if the journey were to exceed 150 miles.

My driving experience with the 400 was a one time affair as a guest driver from Monterey to La Jolla. My Ferrari V12 ownership experience is with a 365 GTB-4 for nearly six years.

___

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Spend some time on ferrarichat.com and then ask this question over there - very helpful and well-informed crowd - especially on the model specific subfora.

Increased reliability or not - any Ferrari with an automatic transmission is an abomination.

bullethead

Reaction score
kudos on your choice. I always thought the 400 was underrated.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
kudos on your choice. I always thought the 400 was underrated.

It is such a good looking car. I just don't want to spend 10-12k a year on upkeep.

Talking to a mechanic next week, will report back.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one of these. More specifically, his business partner has one but the partner is often out of the country and my friend has use of the car. I think it would be impractical to use as your only car if you actually needed a reliable car for daily use, but it would be a pretty cool toy otherwise.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
A friend of mine has one of these. More specifically, his business partner has one but the partner is often out of the country and my friend has use of the car. I think it would be impractical to use as your only car if you actually needed a reliable car for daily use, but it would be a pretty cool toy otherwise.

Baron, you know my situation with cars, this would be my weekend car for LA or SF. I promise you as many rides as you want.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would want one. They really aren't attractive and maintenance will be a *****.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Stay in the 308-328 area.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
want a 2+2, plus the 400/412 is underrated.

a 308/328 looks kinda dumb to me. I am fan of classic Ferraris, if I had to get a new one, it would be a 612.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Baron, you know my situation with cars, this would be my weekend car for LA or SF. I promise you as many rides as you want.

Sweet. I'm pissed I didn't get to cruise in the Maybach.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Sweet. I'm pissed I didn't get to cruise in the Maybach.

I have a sick ass Hyundai when I am down in two weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads