1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

1968 Brioni travel jacket, and travel jacket ideas.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Does away with the need for a carry-on bag, jacket is the carry-on bag.

Is that Baden-Powell? I like his jacket.

Not so keen on pith helmets though.
    [​IMG]

OK for shooting on the Norfolk Broads or you're the MD of an East Anglian poultry business.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

When I'm flying, I always avoid putting anything in trouser pockets because of the metal detectors and frisking. Everything in the jacket, it goes through the X-ray along with carry-on, and you're done.

I'll often have an MP3/MP4 player as well, and maybe a book or two, in addition to the smart-phone, passport, boarding card, wallet and house-keys when travelling. They're in jacket pockets, as it saves rummaging through the overheads.

I'd like to see that, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

The coat is the one pictured in my previous post. It has a camera rigged n on of the chest zip pockets but that's obviously not necessary for our purposes.

Quite true about keeping trouser pockets empty at the airport. But whatever you'd keep in a secret pocket like extra cash and so on only needs to be there while out and about at your destination, and if the circumstance occurs where you need the stash pocket, you may lose your coat. Hopefully you're less likely to lose your trousers, which is why the stash pocket would be there.

I use my phone for music listening and book, journal reading, so that saves a lot of room. Keys I keep on a clip and that can be clipped to a pocket rim on the jacket. Wallet goes with the other documents.

What may be in order is a smaller, separate pocket next to the phone pocket for the headset, to keep it from tangling up when stowed and to manage cord slack when in use.

4. lukelukeluke

lukelukeluke Well-Known Member

IIRC the OP wanted something he could wear with a tie, i.e., a sport coat adapted for travel, rather than an outerwear garment.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Quite, but I feel that using a tailored garment as a basis for something that is to be worn while traveling is a bad idea.

A travel coat needs to either resist wrinkling or be designed in such a way that wrinkles do not deter from its appearance. It needs pockets in places which are not optimal for a tailored coat due to bulk; it needs to be durable and should also provide protection against the elements if necessary. All of these features would detract from the appearance of a tailored coat when used for the occasions it would be called for once you are at your destination. A tailored suit or sport coat is easier to pack, if done carefully, than outerwear, and takes up less space in luggage. The travel coat can be used as outerwear or as a casual day coat, while making room in your bag for the dress jacket.

6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

So, do we get to see the finished jacket?

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

:lurk:

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I've seen a Fay travel blazer exactly in this mould recently. Basically a blazer made out of a waterproof fabric, with extra pockets - quite nice.

9. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

Yes, looking forward to see Radical Dog's finished commission.:nodding: