1968 Brioni travel jacket, and travel jacket ideas.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 15, 2012.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Complete with a camera strap strap.

The contrasting bellows are tacky IMO.

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

No strap strap/epaulette for me: I always wear cameras/shoulder bags across my chest anyway.

The bellows aren't contrasting: they are just reinforced at the top in self material (because they hide popper buttons). Or are you referring to the blue piece of cloth in the photo? That's just a little trial pocket we made to test the design of the pockets!

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The epaulets would be a nice feature I still think. You could always make them removable too with the attaching button under the collar?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

4. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I don't quite see how: they need to be sewn in at one end, or at least have a kind of loop permanently sewn onto the shoulder, no? I'm just worried that this jacket is quite eccentric already. I will ask the tailor to set aside a bit of cloth anyway, just in case.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Just a small loop at the end of the shoulder, with a button on the opposing end. they would be hardly noticeable if done well. IMHO you must embrace something of a militaristic theme for a jacket like this in the first place as otherwise it will just look like a bastardised odd jacket. Are you also not including at least a removable throat latch?

6. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Bastardised odd jacket doesn't sound too bad, actually. But as I said, I'll ask the tailor to keep some extra cloth just in case I want to add stuff like epaulettes.

This is the summer version so no throat latch. The winter one will definitely have one though.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like your revisions Radicaldog. Consider a patch pocket within the hip patch pockets. Use them for small heavy things. That way they don't distort the shape of the outer hip pocket.

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

This thread is inspiring, I cannot wait to see the finished model.

9. nhannon

nhannon Senior member

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Ah four symmetrical pockets with flaps, I like that. Not so keen on the asymmetric looking travel jackets posted earlier. Myself, I wouldn't do buttoned shoulder strap things(epaulets), makes looks like a soldier, too military IMO.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

The order is in now, but there will be a winter version so if this design is too daring I'll rectify things (pun not intended). But, as Eileen Gray said, "symmetry is boring". I do have a brown solid Harris tweed coat with four symmetrical pockets (with buttons and slits, but no flaps), and I don't think it works too well, perhaps because the breast pockets are placed too high. There's a picture of it somewhere on the interwebz (either here or on the London Lounge), but no idea where it is, exactly.

12. lukelukeluke

lukelukeluke Well-Known Member

first one is extremely sexy. symmetrical may be boring, but in my early paying-attention-to-clothes days, i have found that i am kind of boring. why, oh why, do i not have $1100 to spend on a travel jacket?

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I do like the first one, but it's a field jacket rather than a sportcoat. I wanted something one could wear with a tie.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

(deleted)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

15. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

^ Nice. Looks more like a field jacket though. I have something quite similar (in blue, no belt) from Aspesi.