1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

1968 Brioni travel jacket, and travel jacket ideas.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 15, 2012.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Bastardised odd jacket doesn't sound too bad, actually. But as I said, I'll ask the tailor to keep some extra cloth just in case I want to add stuff like epaulettes.

This is the summer version so no throat latch. The winter one will definitely have one though.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like your revisions Radicaldog. Consider a patch pocket within the hip patch pockets. Use them for small heavy things. That way they don't distort the shape of the outer hip pocket.

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

This thread is inspiring, I cannot wait to see the finished model.

4. nhannon

nhannon Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Ah four symmetrical pockets with flaps, I like that. Not so keen on the asymmetric looking travel jackets posted earlier. Myself, I wouldn't do buttoned shoulder strap things(epaulets), makes looks like a soldier, too military IMO.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

The order is in now, but there will be a winter version so if this design is too daring I'll rectify things (pun not intended). But, as Eileen Gray said, "symmetry is boring". I do have a brown solid Harris tweed coat with four symmetrical pockets (with buttons and slits, but no flaps), and I don't think it works too well, perhaps because the breast pockets are placed too high. There's a picture of it somewhere on the interwebz (either here or on the London Lounge), but no idea where it is, exactly.

7. lukelukeluke

lukelukeluke Well-Known Member

first one is extremely sexy. symmetrical may be boring, but in my early paying-attention-to-clothes days, i have found that i am kind of boring. why, oh why, do i not have $1100 to spend on a travel jacket?

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I do like the first one, but it's a field jacket rather than a sportcoat. I wanted something one could wear with a tie.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

(deleted)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  10. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

^ Nice. Looks more like a field jacket though. I have something quite similar (in blue, no belt) from Aspesi.

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I like this design for a travel jacket.

[​IMG]

12. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Nice color and interesting pocket design, but for some reason I've never been able to like a shirt collar on a jacket.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I believe it is called a Ghillie collar.

14. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Nice, but it looks like a sort of hunting garment.

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

True. But it has some design ideas that are interesting.

16. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

A bit too Austrian WWI for my liking...

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Not enough pockets and too Bavarian, probably go well with lederhosen IMO

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  18. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

How's the project coming along? Here are some images from Villarosa's Elegant Man that I thought might be helpful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I don't understand the presumption that travel clothing should have an abundance of pockets. All you need is an inside zip pocket big enough for to hold a passport and boarding pass, plus another one for a smart phone. Maybe a small stash pocket, but that should really be part of the trouser. Add two ordinary slash pockets to keep your hands in and your good to go.

Moreover, styling should be based on outerwear. For instance, a short Mackintosh in Schoeller-c or Ventile, raglan sleeves, with pockets as styled above, a drawstring or some elastic at the waist for warmth management or just to give a more waisted look, and Barbour style snap on hood. Unlined or mesh lining, and perhaps discreet pit zips. Colors should be dark khaki or olive.

There is a jacket in the Stasi museum in Berlin, in the covert camera/surveillance exhibit, that would be a good styling base. I'll post pics later.

20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

Not exactly like I described above, but to me seems a more sensible option than a shooting or safari jacket.