• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Car as an everyday driver?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could take a 60's car and update it to modern standards, but it will probably cost about the same as a new Mercedes when you are finished, if you do all of the work yourself maybe the same as a new BMW 3 series.

Updating a 40's car is tougher because the majority of aftermarket parts require a lot of time in fabrication to adapt them to the older frames.

If you pick a 60's mustang or Camaro you have a good platform to start. You would need to update the brakes to factory discs a bare minimum or aftermarket disc brakes. The suspensions built in those days were not built to handle well, but a few small modifications can put those on par with many of today's cars. The biggest issue is called 'bump steer' which is a really easy fix, but it's not inexpensive. There are other mods to increase camber gain which also helps in handling.

There are modified versions of these cars in street legal trim capable of cornering at over 1G and many of them are outfitted with fuel injected engines and overdrive transmissions.

Paint and bodywork on older cars is not inexpensive.

I used to drive a 67' Camaro daily, switched to a 2003 caddy. I like driving my caddy better, however when it comes to repairing it I cringe every time i check out what the parts cost.

Also, good luck finding insurance for a daily driven classic car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads