• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s dinner party

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
Have a company dinner coming up next month with a 1920s theme. Dinner at a nice hotel. Invite said suggested that it included but was not limited to a Gatsby outfit.

First thought was to go in a charcoal suit and tie, with a flat cap (with the flat cap being what would hopefully "date" the outfit as 1920s). But then I realized that once I went indoors it'd be uncomfortable/weird to wear the hat anyway. Plus, the cut of my charcoal suit isn't particularly 20s. So I don't like that idea.

So my second idea is just to run with the Gatsby theme and go full black tie.

I do know that some other people are gonna **** around show up in pretty informal stuff though (suspenders, flat cap, brown trouseres). Only concern is that I don't want to be too overdressed.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Obviously, I would ideally buy clothes that are very obviously 1920s, but I don't want to waste money on stuff I'd never wear again.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
By the 1920s, the suit was already very close to today's suit but the trousers were more full and high-waisted. That's about it.

Prince of Wales, 1924:

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
I suppose I could just go in a regular suit and say "hey, look, the cut of my suit is almost identical to those worn in the 20s". But I think that wouldn't exactly be fitting the implied theme - ie something overtly 20s.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have a three-piece suit or maybe something from RRL?

moltoelegante

Reaction score
I suppose I could just go in a regular suit and say "hey, look, the cut of my suit is almost identical to those worn in the 20s". But I think that wouldn't exactly be fitting the implied theme - ie something overtly 20s.

Understood. The problem is that the hats are the main difference between now and then and you already excluded that option. I can only suggest high-waisted trousers with suspenders (as demonstrated below by our own Alan Bee and I happen to think it's a great look) or go the full black tie but do it in style :cool:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to look like a 20s Ivy graduate, just get a three piece sack suit
from J. Press or the like and a button down shirt with a good roll and you'll
look like Scot Fitzgerald:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say ball out and wear your tux if you have one, I doubt a company that planned a theme 1920's dinner would turn their nose up at something being too costume-y under those circumstances.

If you wanted to wear a suit, I would look towards accessories to make it look old timey: maybe a picket watch, a fedora, a sleeveless cardigan to wear underneath a sport coat, some bucks, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads