• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

18th street, dc

shoreman80

Reaction score
I hope this post doesn't get lost in the E+C section of the Forum, but here goes...

Anyone been to the 18th St. Lounge in DC lately?

Since a few years ago I had always wanted to go and see the famed home turf of Eric Hilton and Rob Garza. I had friends who had been, and claimed the dress code was strict and the place was expensive; as a POOR college student 2 hrs away I could afford neither the clothes nor the cover.

I've since graduated, moved near the district and upgraded my wardrobe, but until today it had not occurred to me that maybe I should go now. Of course, the bloom could be off the place by now, I really don't know. Though I'm close, it would still be an effort to get dressed in the evening and go (I'm more a rock show guy than a club guy), and I thought maybe someone here would have aclue what it's like these days...

Thanks in advance..

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the ESL last summer.  In my opinion, it is a cool place to hang out, but overrated and overpriced.  Much of its mystique lies in the fact that it has no sign (the entrance is an unmarked door next to a mattress store).  The actual club consists of two floors above the mattress store, reached by a narrow stairway.  On the first floor is a lounge with a lot of comfy couches in the front and a deck in the back.  On the second floor is another lounge, usually with a DJ or a band.

I don't remember if there is a dress code, but you would probably be better off not wearing jeans.  IIRC, the cover is $10 on the weekends and drinks are quite expensive.

alaaro

Reaction score
I agree. Very overrated. It tries to be the anti-lounge by not advertising. The people there are not fun, and its way too pretentious. There are much better lounges to go to in the area instead.

shoreman80

Reaction score
alaaro,

Thanks for the opinion; I would definitely like to check out other places around there and around DC that have similar music and a little class.

Since I live just a little too far out of the city to casually explore, could you (or anyone else) give me a couple leads?

Best regards

alaaro

Reaction score
Gazuza, Helix, Rouge, and Blue Room are all pretty fun loungy places that don't carry the snob factor that ESL (eighteenth st lounge) does. Let me know what you think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads