• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$180.00 Custom Tailored Suit Pics

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knyteguy...the Windsor not is a bit tricky...when you next come to L.A., give me a buzz and we'll meet somewhere so I can teach you...I was taught it since I too once had clip on ties but have upgraded

Problem with the windsor knot is that it shortens the tie considerably. Especially if you like big fat knots like I do. 3 alternative exists. Get longer ties, wear vests or as I've seen with your single pic post, wear a high cut small lapel jacket.

I've also learned to be careful when using a local dry cleaner to do your shirts as they shrink considerably and thus I tend to order a larger neck size to take shrinkeage into consideration....the alternative is to launder your own shirts.

Some folks at SF can be harsh, weather the storm and you will find invaluable information to improve your style of dress

And post more pics
teacha.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knyteguy
I honestly wanted some opinions on the suit,

Apparently not.

Tough to tell with that pic, but looks like you have some puffing or warping going on around the pecs. But the bad pic and having all three buttons done up combine to make it tough to get a good sense.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Apparently not.
+1, he failed. Go look at the pinned threads like WAYWT or Member Pictures to see how to do it right.
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Some folks at SF can be harsh, weather the storm and you will find invaluable information to improve your style of dress And post more pics
teacha.gif

We're harsh because we care, though some were quick to dismiss because of the price. I was because of the tailor. It could actually be a nice looking suit, after all, we almost all agreed on Target suits being pretty damn good for the money. Quality? No, but well styled and cut. Can any $180.00 (new or custom) suit be quality? Probably not, not even in Thailand. But could it be decent? Yes it could. Based on what we know about you, you probably don't wear suits everyday, so the quality might not be an issue for you if you're only going to wear it once in a great while. That Super 180 won't last help the suit last long either, but the light fabric is what you want to wear in the Thailand heat... if you have to wear a suit. I'd go with linen if possible, I'm not sure of the dress conventions in the part the country you may be in. Can it be cut well? Sure, especially if it is MTM, depending on the tailor. Bottom line around here, put up or shut up.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the way I handwash my bespoke and MTM shirts...none of which are all white

1st faze, go to your local supermarket, in the section for washing detergents there is bound to be a special bar of soap. Forgot the name, disregard the brand Kabbaz uses since he's hording all thats left in this country.

With a small brush, wet the collar, rub the wet soap bar on it, use the brush on the collar to work on the ring around the collar. This can work on a number of types of dirt throughout the shirt but if it comes to blood, tomato sauce, or oils, then use the search function to get better avice

Then I throw in the laundry and use Tide on delicate using a cold water but for about 10-15 seconds I use hot water to mix it a bit. I never put my shirts in the dryer

Then I line dry. By the next day, the shirt should be a bit damp....this is perfect for ironing...which is a pain **********. If you work in a profession where you rarely take off your jacket, then only iron the neck collar and the shirt cuffs. If you take it off, then expect to invest 5 minutes per shirt to iron it well or 1 minute tops if you are rushed.

Hope this helps...I launder my own shirts since the local dry cleaner didn't clean them well and they shrank considerably. But with the $2.50 per shirt I save doing it at home, I just re-invest it into getting even more bespoke shirts and slowly fazing out the MTM Honk Kong stuff I got previously...as it wears away

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knyteguy, if you are still in Thailand and haven't adjusted your trousers...see if the tailor can add interior front pockets.

This is great to hide money, passports or other important belongings

Since you are from Nevada, a more handgun friendly state, if you possess a CCW, you can make interior pockets to make for a better Inside the Waist Band (I.W.B) handgun or knife holster. THis is the benefit of using a custom tailor in Thailand....the "custom" options are unlimited".

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knyteguy
Hello all, I've been lurking this forum for a little bit; finally decided to join since I got my Suits today!

For the life of me I will never understand why people who claim to have lurked here for a while always end up angry/shocked when they are mocked for posting some utterly ridiculous piece of clothing. Either they're lying to make people think they're not noobs, or they're idiots who learn nothing while lurking.

Honestly, the worst part of the ensemble is the cheap hitman/Backstreet Boys motif created by wearing sunglasses and a three button suit buttoned up completely. You haven't mentioned why you need a suit, so maybe even if they're not the best quality they'll be fine for you. However, if you're going to post pics in the future I would recommend avoiding anything that makes you look like you're auditioning for the next Hitman movie.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Knyteguy, if you are still in Thailand and haven't adjusted your trousers...see if the tailor can add interior front pockets. This is great to hide money, passports or other important belongings Since you are from Nevada, a more handgun friendly state, if you possess a CCW, you can make interior pockets to make for a better Inside the Waist Band (I.W.B) handgun or knife holster. THis is the benefit of using a custom tailor in Thailand....the "custom" options are unlimited".
I have a CC license, and I'm not sure how well an inside the waistband holster would work with suit trousers. If you're in a situation where you actually have to draw a gun, I would think it'd be too much of a production for you to reach inside your waistband for a weapon. Why not just get an inside the pocket holster that clings to the pocket interior? Those are pretty nifty. Edit: Maybe I misunderstood what you're talking about with "inside the waistband." When I posted, I envisioned some kind of holster completely hidden inside the waistband. I guess if you're suggesting a typical holster that allows you to grab the butt from above the waistband, that would make sense. But in that case, why not just get a holster made for that situation, which you can then wear with any pair of trousers?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
I have a CC license, and I'm not sure how well an inside the waistband holster would work with suit trousers. If you're in a situation where you actually have to draw a gun, I would think it'd be too much of a production for you to reach inside your waistband for a weapon. Why not just get an inside the pocket holster that clings to the pocket interior? Those are pretty nifty.
Shoulder holsters are WAY cooler. Especially with a 3-piece.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Glad you are enjoying yourself in Thailand, especially now that the political crisis has somehwat abated. However, I am not so sure your opinions of the tailors as honest and hardworking guys with exceptional standards will still stand at the end of your stay.

Most of the so called tailors are really just salespeople who are dishonest touts. The real artisans are the local thais whom they pay very little to do shitload of work. However, if you are currently happy with their work, it could really be a blessing NOT to learn more about their craftsmanship or the construction of finer suits, as well as the dirty tricks of the trade these "salespeople" practise.

The quote is, I think, dead on. I've been going to Thailand for years. There are maybe a couple of reasonably good tailors in Thailand and they don't do internet orders! They certainly don't enlist the help of pathetic shills like the OP.

Any tailor who chases you down on the street in the various tourist ghettos isn't worth a damn. Same goes for any tailor that you find based on the good word of your tuk tuk driver. They all get their shoddy work done by the same sweatshop factories. They all use inferior materials. They all lie about what they are selling.

Maybe you would like to buy some gem stones while you are there? You can make a fortune importing them to the USA and Europe.

Chok dee farang kee nock

Inf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
I have a CC license, and I'm not sure how well an inside the waistband holster would work with suit trousers. If you're in a situation where you actually have to draw a gun, I would think it'd be too much of a production for you to reach inside your waistband for a weapon. Why not just get an inside the pocket holster that clings to the pocket interior? Those are pretty nifty.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood what you're talking about with "inside the waistband." When I posted, I envisioned some kind of holster completely hidden inside the waistband. I guess if you're suggesting a typical holster that allows you to grab the butt from above the waistband, that would make sense. But in that case, why not just get a holster made for that situation, which you can then wear with any pair of trousers?

Texan here, and yes it's a consideration in buying clothes sometimes... I stretched out the waistband on a pair of raw denim jeans once when I was carrying with an "inside the waistband" holster. It was a bummer.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
Maybe you would like to buy some gem stones while you are there? You can make a fortune importing them to the USA and Europe. Chok dee farang kee nock
gen-sign.jpg
goldenargosy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads