• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

18 years old getting dressed for a party.

Omnes

Reaction score
Hello community!

Im going to attend to my friends birthday party this weekend, at there is a dress code. There will be a lot of fashion interested people my age there, and then me.

I thought I would try to pull off a classic, white slim fit shirt within a gray vest with the gray trousers and a bow tie (of course not pre- tied, I saw someone getting ripped apart in another thread.) and perhaps a PS.

Im going shopping in a couple of days.

Any suggestions or things I should pay attention to? Im some what fit, young, tan with blonde hair. I don´t mind colors or patterns.

Thanks

-Tobias

Last edited:

Omnes

Reaction score
There are no direct instructions, though it´s rather fancy for a 18 year olds birthday party. But a black suit would be too formal, I think. Sorry if Im being unclear.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are no direct instructions, though it´s rather fancy for a 18 year olds birthday party. But a black suit would be too formal, I think. Sorry if Im being unclear.

So it's just "dress code", without specifying what said dress code is? That makes no sense.

Omnes

Reaction score
Perhaps. I guess the point of it is to make sure people dress well, instead of just jeans and tshirts, that you would usually see at a party with people my age.

SelfMade

Reaction score
Basically, based on the individuals attending, the location of the event, and the fact it's an "18th birthday party," you have inferred there is a dress code, even though it's not implied? In any event, rule of thumb, it's better to over dress than to be under-dressed. That is all.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's pretty odd to say there's a dress code but not say what it is. Anyway, wearing a vest and tie but no jacket looks incomplete. Especially if the vest matches the trousers.

If you don't want to wear a jacket, just wear your shirt and the trousers. A summery pullover or cardigan could be alright too.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's pretty odd to say there's a dress code but not say what it is. Anyway, wearing a vest and tie but no jacket looks incomplete. Especially if the vest matches the trousers.

If you don't want to wear a jacket, just wear your shirt and the trousers. A summery pullover or cardigan could be alright too.

+1.

Also, jacket with no tie is a far better look than tie with no jacket. Ditch the vest unless you're wearing a 3 piece suit.

EDIT: Lest my advice be misinperpreted, this refers to wearing an odd (non-matching to trousers) jacket with no tie. Suit with no tie is generally not a good look.

Last edited:

Omnes

Reaction score
Really? It was my friend who gave me the idea, and Ive always thought vest and trousers were kind of cool and young. But then again, Im asking because I care more than I know.

Omnes

Reaction score
Alright, let me take a step back:

I want to dress nice, and look cool without giving the impression that Ive tried too hard. I also think fully suiting up would be too stiff. What are your suggestions in general, if I am to re-evaluate my gray suit?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's kind of more 9 yr-old young than 18 yr-old young...

This. It makes you look like either a kid whose mommy made him get dressed up or a waiter. Neither is a good thing.

Clearly, full-suit sounds like way overkill and out of place, but the vest and no jacket thing is just bad.

Omnes

Reaction score
It´s okay. I appreciate the information on what not to do. Any suggestions on what I should actually do?

redboat

Reaction score
Alright, let me take a step back:

I want to dress nice, and look cool without giving the impression that Ive tried too hard. I also think fully suiting up would be too stiff. What are your suggestions in general, if I am to re-evaluate my gray suit?
My suggestion is to wear a sport coat in a slightly casual cut (e.g. patch pockets, soft shoulders, textured fabric, etc) with a dress shirt, well-fitting chinos, and some nice, but not formal, leather shoes. Bring along a regular tie and put it on if needed.

"Cool without the impression of trying too hard" takes some effort after all...

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming the dress code is simply "no t-shirts and jeans":

optional: cotton cardigan (navy)
oxford cloth button down shirt (light blue or white or blue/white stripe)
chinos (khaki)
mocassins or (slightly more dressed up) loafers

Make sure everything fits well and has a flattering cut. I'd rather risk underdressing than overdressing at your age.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads