1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

18 years old getting dressed for a party.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Omnes, May 21, 2013.

1. Omnes

Omnes Member

Hello community!

Im going to attend to my friends birthday party this weekend, at there is a dress code. There will be a lot of fashion interested people my age there, and then me.

I thought I would try to pull off a classic, white slim fit shirt within a gray vest with the gray trousers and a bow tie (of course not pre- tied, I saw someone getting ripped apart in another thread.) and perhaps a PS.

Im going shopping in a couple of days.

Any suggestions or things I should pay attention to? Im some what fit, young, tan with blonde hair. I don´t mind colors or patterns.

Thanks

-Tobias

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's the dress code?

3. Omnes

Omnes Member

There are no direct instructions, though it´s rather fancy for a 18 year olds birthday party. But a black suit would be too formal, I think. Sorry if Im being unclear.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

So it's just "dress code", without specifying what said dress code is? That makes no sense.

1 person likes this.
  5. Omnes

Omnes Member

Perhaps. I guess the point of it is to make sure people dress well, instead of just jeans and tshirts, that you would usually see at a party with people my age.

6. SelfMade

SelfMade Active Member

Basically, based on the individuals attending, the location of the event, and the fact it's an "18th birthday party," you have inferred there is a dress code, even though it's not implied? In any event, rule of thumb, it's better to over dress than to be under-dressed. That is all.

7. unbelragazzo

It's pretty odd to say there's a dress code but not say what it is. Anyway, wearing a vest and tie but no jacket looks incomplete. Especially if the vest matches the trousers.

If you don't want to wear a jacket, just wear your shirt and the trousers. A summery pullover or cardigan could be alright too.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1.

Also, jacket with no tie is a far better look than tie with no jacket. Ditch the vest unless you're wearing a 3 piece suit.

EDIT: Lest my advice be misinperpreted, this refers to wearing an odd (non-matching to trousers) jacket with no tie. Suit with no tie is generally not a good look.

9. Omnes

Omnes Member

Really? It was my friend who gave me the idea, and Ive always thought vest and trousers were kind of cool and young. But then again, Im asking because I care more than I know.

10. Omnes

Omnes Member

Alright, let me take a step back:

I want to dress nice, and look cool without giving the impression that Ive tried too hard. I also think fully suiting up would be too stiff. What are your suggestions in general, if I am to re-evaluate my gray suit?

11. unbelragazzo

It's kind of more 9 yr-old young than 18 yr-old young...

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This. It makes you look like either a kid whose mommy made him get dressed up or a waiter. Neither is a good thing.

Clearly, full-suit sounds like way overkill and out of place, but the vest and no jacket thing is just bad.

13. Omnes

Omnes Member

It´s okay. I appreciate the information on what not to do. Any suggestions on what I should actually do?

14. redboat

redboat Senior member

My suggestion is to wear a sport coat in a slightly casual cut (e.g. patch pockets, soft shoulders, textured fabric, etc) with a dress shirt, well-fitting chinos, and some nice, but not formal, leather shoes. Bring along a regular tie and put it on if needed.

"Cool without the impression of trying too hard" takes some effort after all...

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Assuming the dress code is simply "no t-shirts and jeans":

optional: cotton cardigan (navy)
    oxford cloth button down shirt (light blue or white or blue/white stripe)
    chinos (khaki)
    mocassins or (slightly more dressed up) loafers

Make sure everything fits well and has a flattering cut. I'd rather risk underdressing than overdressing at your age.

3 people like this.
  16. unbelragazzo

What's the time of day and location? I literally have no idea what people do for social engagements when they can't legally drink in public.

17. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Illegally drink indoors.

18. redboat

redboat Senior member

19. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Just to add another view point, OP you are getting the opinions of mature individuals who (generally) prefer classic dress and proportions. They are all really well-dressed but not in an 18 year old way.

I'm going to guess that if you went with the vest/pants combo you suggested the girls your age would love it, more so than anything we suggest. Just because you're dressed to the standards of this forum doesn't mean teens will find it equally appealing.

Dress the way you feel confident and comfortable in. You will exude confidence and look better in that than something you have to be told to wear.

I'd say do a blue, slim sportcoat with horn buttons, a white button down and dark jeans. It won't be sartorially daring or perfect but simple and easy for someone young to pull off. Proportion is the most important part, make sure it fits well. If you don't know what that means lurk here more or check out The Rake Online.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  20. Omnes

Omnes Member

The legal age in Norway is 18.:- )