• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cotton sateen is the fabric quality that was traditionally used for M-65 jackets and pants. I brought that to our weavers and had it woven on handlooms, but at the end of the day, it’s still a simple, flat fabric. We had planned on counterbalancing the simplicity of that with the block print grinning through under the nylon, but that didn’t end up working, so they became a more mellow idea.

The beast with having a mostly ecom business that is marketed mostly by instagram is that the loudest things are the ones that stop the scroll and get promoted by the algorithm.

Mrbutchsanders

Reaction score
Shame because my Khaki Richmond Cargos are amazing and i love the fabric. Very true about instagram, but I feel like these are a staple in the closet that can just be thrown on without much thought.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Make more S and I would have bought some Richmonds. Those look dope as hell.
“We recommend sizing up at least one size from your normal alpha size.” - The Management

FR though, you do realize that we shoot the models in pieces that are 3 sizes larger than what would “fit,” right?

Last edited:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I respect your vision, but I also like my way of wearing things.

I hear that, we just have no plans to make any more size S than we currently do for reasons that are pretty well documented on this site. Slowest size to turn and exponentially highest return rate.

airhead

Reaction score
not sure why i held off on the richmonds but once i grabbed a pair, i was really happy that i did and ended up getting another pair a month later.

i will say... a lot of 18east i've gotten online has always been a little different in person (in a good way) than i pictured based off photos whether it's shape, length, feel of materials etc. need to go into the store more. not sure how you translate that online..

heroicpenguin

Reaction score
“We recommend sizing up at least one size from your normal alpha size.” - The Management

FR though, you do realize that we shoot the models in pieces that are 3 sizes larger than what would “fit,” right?

Sadly, size S is already sizing up for me, but I get it. The deeper stock on recent stuff is definitely helpful though (even for size S!)

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wonder if there's some correlation between this and the "exponentially higher return rate" for Size S? ?️‍♂️

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wonder if there's some correlation between this and the "exponentially higher return rate" for Size S? ?️‍♂️

In general, we have fairly low return rates, but when we made XS and more S those two sizes made up for the majority of them.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I mean, I was just being internet dumb about cool clothes, and you obviously know more about the general and specifics of the clothing trade than I will ever know.

But! Wearing S in Goreckis just made a lot more sense for my wardrobe, and I haven't put on the M pair I have in so long I don't even know how long. That's actually probably sizing down, as in the structured waistband stuff I'd be an M.

kevenmee

Reaction score
In general, we have fairly low return rates, but when we made XS and more S those two sizes made up for the majority of them.

Wonder if this is an industry trend, or something specific to 18 East's cuts/proportion. As a standard S, I have stuff in 18E from XS (earlier drops - jungle jacket, Gabor cashmere sweater, etc) to S (most of my stuff) to M (some of the SI Ts).

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i will say... a lot of 18east i've gotten online has always been a little different in person (in a good way) than i pictured based off photos whether it's shape, length, feel of materials etc. need to go into the store more. not sure how you translate that online..
One thing I would like to see which could help translate the experience in some situations is better close-up shots of the fabrics. The 18E materials really shine in hand, but often you can't tell from the modelled pics. NMWA does a pretty good job of this.

Last edited:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I mean, I was just being internet dumb about cool clothes, and you obviously know more about the general and specifics of the clothing trade than I will ever know.

But! Wearing S in Goreckis just made a lot more sense for my wardrobe, and I haven't put on the M pair I have in so long I don't even know how long. That's actually probably sizing down, as in the structured waistband stuff I'd be an M.

The idea of sizing down in Goreckis makes my head spin, particularly if you are machine hot wash/tumble drying them on high, which they are absolutely designed for. I have a 33” waist and wear an XXL in the goreckis due to shrinkage (our XXLs fit approximately the same as size L Rothcos).

You obviously know your wardrobe better than me, but the intention of this particular style is to look like a full, milspec cargo.

ramdomthought

Reaction score

seconding getting into the store. only time i've been able to visit was early this fall. Went in being sold online on figuring out my size in the black linen sam

ended up trying on nearly everything in every reasonable size and walking out with a half zip popover two sizes larger than what i would have normally ordered. dismissed the sateen freshwater print online, but was immediately sold on it in person.

all this is to say - the store rocks and being able to try things on reinforced the sizing advice that's been yelled at us all (for the majority of things, going up a size or two in the kurta isn't for me...)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads