• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CarterH

Reaction score
The large indigo studio double knees measurements felt accurate to me based on the size chart, but they were incredibly tight in the top block and seat despite the waist fitting nicely.

I've been unhappy with the fit of every pair of pants with a zipper fly from 18 East (old ripstop double knees, Jian single pleats, shelter shorts, indigo studio double knees)

It feels like you have to size up 3+ inches in the waist to have enough room in the top block, and whilst my thighs are larger I don't squat or anything like that, so I don't think I'm that out of the ordinary.

I personally hate sizing up in the waist so much, as the waist always bunches and feels uncomfortable with a belt

Doesn't help that a lot of the time the size charts aren't accurate and don't include thigh measurements

Also I find the rise on all those too high, the shelter shorts especially.

Love this brand, so I figured I'd voice my opinion. Anyone feeling similarly?

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@barongrim Ha! Ditto. Would you say the L fits like a 34?
With the studio pant, I find (and I believe AKC said this at some stage too) that they are meant to fit looser in the waist (IE size up) to get the fit through the leg and butt. The waist measurement isn’t to helpful on that pant unfortunately.

Also I find the rise on all those too high, the shelter shorts especially.

Love this brand, so I figured I'd voice my opinion. Anyone feeling similarly?
As for the longer rises, I absolutely love it. I personally would not want to shorten them, especially on the Shelter shorts with such a short inseam.

platinumtooth

Reaction score
The only real issue I can recall was the first run of the ripstop double knees, which was discussed previously and the fit was updated going forward.

I have a pair of colorblocked double knees from last year and last week's indigo ones and the fit is identical so nothing has changed, imo.

In my experience, I am very grateful for returns when I run into something that doesn't work-I'm certain that CS hates me for it hahaha but I really appreciate it.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CarterH maybe it is just your measurements if none of the pants work out for you. I have a larger butt and thighs from working out and the double knees are the only pants I've had issues with.

The waist on size large measures 34.5" while it is 36" on the same size single pleats and other pants. The top block is the tightest on the double knees too and I had some pulling at the crotch and waist where you can see a tiny bit of the zipper just below the button.

I didn't have any problems with the top block on any of the other pants.

If you have issues with the rise, are you sagging them a little?

Last edited:

CarterH

Reaction score
@CarterH maybe it is just your measurements if none of the pants work out for you. I have a larger butt and thighs from working out and the double knees are the only pants I've had issues with.

The waist on size large measures 34.5" while it is 36" on the same size single pleats and other pants. The top block is the tightest on the double knees too and I had some pulling at the crotch and waist where you can see a tiny bit of the zipper just below the button.

I didn't have any problems with the top block on any of the other pants.

If you have issues with the rise, are you sagging them a little?

Even with the Jian single pleats I have the same issue despite the larger waist..I ordered them in XL originally because I wanted to size up a pinch to the supposed 36" waist as per the size chart, but they turned out to be a 38" waist.

Then I snagged a size large aftermarket to see if that worked better. The waist was again 2" larger than the size chart, which was a hair large for me in the waist, but it was just too tight in the top block.

I ended up keeping the XL solely because the linen slate Sam "suit" is amazing, but I dislike having to wear a belt and have the pants drape weirdly

I have to sag pretty much every pair, otherwise I'd be wearing them above my belly button, but I don't like the look or feel when the rise is sagging too much

I'm quite thankful for the easy returns haha

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of colorblocked double knees from last year and last week's indigo ones and the fit is identical so nothing has changed, imo.

That's surprising - I'm pretty sure the cut changed since the colorblocked version. I assume you mean the green/blue? I had a pair in size L and the waist was very big, like 38-39", and the length was a bit cropped, like 27-28". My new indigo ones measure more like 35x31.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slow fidelity Helly jacket is so good. I haven't had problems with water getting in during the current storm going on in California and I've been out almost every day.

Wearing it now. Been getting a lot of people eyeing my outfits in Mendocino county. Guess they're not used to people dressing like this.

View attachment 1692654

To clarify, I was out for an hour or so in the day of non stop rain heavy rain just around the house. Definitely felt damp on the inside. I think it’s just supposed be only water resistant, which seems consistent.

InsulaTergum

Reaction score
24E9E6F1-079F-4695-AFBF-CD350457BF2E.jpeg
Quick mirror shot ft the woven sam and Bagru hoodie

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even with the Jian single pleats I have the same issue despite the larger waist..I ordered them in XL originally because I wanted to size up a pinch to the supposed 36" waist as per the size chart, but they turned out to be a 38" waist.

Then I snagged a size large aftermarket to see if that worked better. The waist was again 2" larger than the size chart, which was a hair large for me in the waist, but it was just too tight in the top block.

I ended up keeping the XL solely because the linen slate Sam "suit" is amazing, but I dislike having to wear a belt and have the pants drape weirdly

I have to sag pretty much every pair, otherwise I'd be wearing them above my belly button, but I don't like the look or feel when the rise is sagging too much

I'm quite thankful for the easy returns haha

It sounds like the Goreckis, Richmonds, Trek, and the discontinued pajama pants would probably work better for you. They're larger in the top block and have elastic waist which can be cinched down.

CarterH

Reaction score
It sounds like the Goreckis, Richmonds, Trek, and the discontinued pajama pants would probably work better for you. They're larger in the top block and have elastic waist which can be cinched down.

Yup, indeed they do. Haven't picked up any Richmond's or Treks yet but Goreckis work great for me (besides the slash pockets being a bit too small, always worried about my phone or wallet falling out)

pinkchimneys

Reaction score
Received the ripstop suit today and the jacket is great but the single pleats fit really tight. I went with my usual size L in the single pleats but these fit way smaller than any of my other pairs. I'm wondering if these were somehow given the wrong tag. Anybody else experiencing this?

Photo comparison of the ripstop and linen single pleats, both labelled size L.
IMG_8889.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads