• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
To put a pin in this, I think what strikes me as particularly odorous is the punching down from Story and members here.

If Karu stole/referenced/borrowed/ripped off existing designs then surely Story did too.

i wonder if this kid was from Harlem and not Jaipur if the response from 18 East and Story would be the same?

jaaz16

Reaction score
Just so everyone’s clear, the owner/founder is a junior Econ major at UPenn who interned at an India-focused private equity firm last summer, and is originally from Delhi. I don’t think that has any bearing on the design debate at hand per se, but it is relevant context to the larger discussion (i.e., I wouldn’t call him “some kid in India”).

I’ll only add that what caught my attention was the copy—like the literal text. I don’t know Story too well, but I have been reading 18e insta captions & product descriptions for the last 6 months or so, (and my day job is reading people’s writing), and the writing is really, really similar. That jumped out to me even more than the designs.

I don't mean to add gas to this discussion. Like I wrote, I don't think that has any bearing on the debate about who rips off who, or who is/isn't called out for borrowing designs (which I think is a legitimate debate to have!) Just thought the context was relevant.

Last edited:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. But I could go through Story’s collection and make the same argument. In fact try reading your paragraph below having swapped Story for Karu, it makes perfect sense.

What I’m calling out is the double standard. Why is it ok for Story but not some kid in India?

Seriously, I’m genuinely curious where the line is drawn?

Story completely ripped off OC according to the standards you are criticising Karu against.

Further, why is it cool for Story to rip off designers but then call foul when it happens to them?
I find it so funny you keep inferring Story MFG's stuff is just stolen designs when you mentioned you looked into the brand for 30 seconds. Do you honestly think you know everything about it after looking at it for 30 seconds? That's not even enough to read their fairly lengthy about page which actually has substance to it, rather than just making "Jawns" that last a lifetime or some other fluff many new brands have. As someone who has followed Story from early on, I don't see it, that doesn't mean they haven't borrowed/ copied/ stolen designs in the past, but they offer so much more than graphic tee's that look similar to OC and they have many years of look books and evolution of their designs to back that up.

I also don't get why you keep playing the race card here. IMO Karu's lack of creativity has nothing to do with their nationality.

You are welcome to keep painting your broad strokes to strengthen your argument. Right now, I won't be supporting Karu because IMO they are copying existing designs from other companies and then trying to pass their stuff off to supporters of those brands. I feel it's respectful to pop into an affiliate thread of a company you copied and say, hey come check out my stuff, but you are welcome to draw your own line and make your own purchasing decisions.

I hope Karu does grow and evolve its designs into something unique in the future. Their materials look nice and I appreciate the handmade element of it, just like I do with 18E. But for now, I'm done talking about Karu or Story as this is an 18E thread.

Last edited:

Rookoobay

Reaction score
Harago does a similar thing. biggest difference between 18E/Story/Harago and Karu is the former all seem to have genuine visions, built up over time, that are conveyed in a way that draws me in. one minute on that Karu feed and I know it's not for me because it lacks all of that.

music comparison that maybe a few people would get - it's like comparing Sublime Frequencies to Putumayo

ramdomthought

Reaction score
As the weather turns nicer - any teasers of new shorts?

Have practically worn through my navy linen ones from last year - will be patching them up but would love to see what's cooking. Would kill for something made out of the nylon used in the fishing shirts

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone’s clear, the owner/founder is a junior Econ major at UPenn who interned at an India-focused private equity firm last summer, and is originally from Delhi. I don’t think that has any bearing on the design debate at hand per se, but it is relevant context to the larger discussion (i.e., I wouldn’t call him “some kid in India”).

I’ll only add that what caught my attention was the copy—like the literal text. I don’t know Story too well, but I have been reading 18e insta captions & product descriptions for the last 6 months or so, (and my day job is reading people’s writing), and the writing is really, really similar. That jumped out to me even more than the designs.

I don't mean to add gas to this discussion. Like I wrote, I don't think that has any bearing on the debate about who rips off who, or who is/isn't called out for borrowing designs (which I think is a legitimate debate to have!) Just thought the context was relevant.

damn, I thought it was a kid living in India, so I thought that was cool, being Indian myself and him making a living as a designer. The fact that he was born in India and now goes to UPENN and is studying Econ makes me feel not as great about the brand. ??‍♂️

how do you know so much about this kid?

brothersprout

Reaction score
damn, I thought it was a kid living in India, so I thought that was cool, being Indian myself and him making a living as a designer. The fact that he was born in India and now goes to UPENN and is studying Econ makes me feel not as great about the brand. ??‍♂️

how do you know so much about this kid?
Bro, what? ? Just out here trying to get an education but my guy is looking for slumdog jawnillionaire.
Also, the internet is a creepy place and two quick google searches gave me the same information the poster above found. Also, if you look through the guy's insta, he says he's moved back to India.

jaaz16

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but either way: I was reacting to your description of him as "some kid in India" which I thought was doing a lot of work on a number of levels and didn't quite align with what I read of his bio. I also don't think his elite education and background is, by itself, reason not to support him. And I also don't think that negates the hypocrisy point--about who is "allowed" to steal from whom--which is a legitimate point to raise, though not one I have any background to weigh in on in this particular case!

Again, if you're not being sarcastic, I basically did 5 minutes of googling and looked at who tagged the brand account on insta. Led to the "penn CEOs" account which is probably an entrepreneurship student group.

Edited just to clarify I meant his finance background, not ethnic or regional background. As in: Just because he's had some elite jobs doesn't mean he's not worthy of your support if you like his story and stuff!

Last edited:

brothersprout

Reaction score
As the weather turns nicer - any teasers of new shorts?

Have practically worn through my navy linen ones from last year - will be patching them up but would love to see what's cooking. Would kill for something made out of the nylon used in the fishing shirts
Couple of guys mentioning shorts the past few days scared me into wearing my Molloy single pleats while it's still cold out haha love the fit and fabric so much on these! Can't wait to see what woolly goodness is being cooked up for next fall.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Antonio pivots back to some of the previous style vibes he had with the earlier collections. The ikat and patchwork shorts, embroidered tees, and block print shirts and pants are what got me into the brand. The more recent stuff have been skate and work wear. I already have enough of that.

I would love a re-do of the patchwork sahasika now that the fit (length) has been updated.

Not trying to spark the debate again, but Harago's tee with the selvedge stripe looks awfully similar to the one Antonio posted on IG a while back.

brothersprout

Reaction score
The ikat and patchwork shorts, embroidered tees, and block print shirts and pants are what got me into the brand.
Agreed. The fabrics on those early Bilal polos were really cool too. One was like, block printed and then hand embroidered, and another was a very interesting jamdani weave. Would love to see fabrics like that on some different silhouettes!

Reaction score
Someone please buy my recent drop undyed double knees (Medium) $150 and will deliver if in NYC. Or add shipping elsewhere.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Antonio pivots back to some of the previous style vibes he had with the earlier collections. The ikat and patchwork shorts, embroidered tees, and block print shirts and pants are what got me into the brand. The more recent stuff have been skate and work wear. I already have enough of that.

I would love a re-do of the patchwork sahasika now that the fit (length) has been updated.

Not trying to spark the debate again, but Harago's tee with the selvedge stripe looks awfully similar to the one Antonio posted on IG a while back.

Second this, I love the older eastern influenced stuff with cool fabrics and patterns. All the recent nylon and synthetic stuff really isn't my jam.

I'm hoping some of the shift is just due to the pandemic. Travel to be able to work with the craftspeople in India is not really possible right now.

maxbayuk

Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of these AE Mcateer shoes 18 East sold? Thinking about ordering a pair and I have a few questions

IMG_0716.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads