• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

maxbayuk

Reaction score
How long has it been taking folks to get their store credit after shipping items back for returns recently?

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long has it been taking folks to get their store credit after shipping items back for returns recently?
They sent my credit two days after receiving my return. It took 2.5 weeks to get back to the studio from the day I mailed it though.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be that as it may, having a good set of pictures that convey the feeling of the fabric can't compare to a throwaway line at the end of the product description.

18 east stuff sells out fast. I usually decide what I'm gonna buy before the drop through the promo pics on IG and the teasers Antonio releases on here, then on the drop day just grab the item as fast as I can before they sell out. I hardly have the time to read and consider the product description. So, me and those like me can't help but rely heavily on the pictures to provide us with the necessary information.

Of course, nothing will beat the feeling of actually having the fabric in hand, but failing that, the next best option for customers, or at least me, would be a picture. There's I think an article on Die Workwear about this topic actually. Derek's point being: because of the rona, people mostly shop online, and brands that use interesting fabric are at a disadvantage because it's much harder to convey interesting textures online than in person.

Also: I'm tempted by the kurta too. if it's soft and airy, i feel like they would go hard on a hot summers day.

They generally post pics of the items dropping in posts or in the IG stories. This time they didn't but it's understandable because of the holidays and they were setting up the warehouse.

If you have any questions on an item you can ask in a comment on the IG post, they've been really good about responding. I asked about the Nam pants and they told me it was just a shell.

And if you want to see zoomed in pics you can view IG on a PC/laptop and look at the page source or use developer console and click around to find the image then open it in a new tab. If you Google it or ask any web developer friend they can show you how.

I disagree that most people shop online because of covid, shopping was trending that way for several years before. If you look at the big stores that sell both online and b&m, the vast majority of the stuff is kept in the warehouse and not in store. Ssense, Barney's, etc. all did this. The Barney's in SF never had anything good/interesting in store so I didn't even bother going.

Even smaller stores like Notre and Independence did too. Part of the reason was they had to worry about theft. Then there are stores that are online only (I think) like Mr. Porter, Matches, End, etc. They did what Amazon did, offered free shipping and free returns to kill a lot of b&m.

Bearjohnson

Reaction score
no no I already do those things; i said I look at pics on IG to decide what I'm gonna get. My point being that I rely heavily on the pics to determine what I'm going to buy. But didn't know about the page source. Thanks for that.

And yeah, the trend was there before the lockdown for sure. I think I've stopped shopping for clothes at a brick and mortar store even before the pandemic (other than may be the essentials like t-shirts). But I think the covid outbreak certainly pushed the trend further I would say.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They generally post pics of the items dropping in posts or in the IG stories. This time they didn't but it's understandable because of the holidays and they were setting up the warehouse.

If you have any questions on an item you can ask in a comment on the IG post, they've been really good about responding. I asked about the Nam pants and they told me it was just a shell.

And if you want to see zoomed in pics you can view IG on a PC/laptop and look at the page source or use developer console and click around to find the image then open it in a new tab. If you Google it or ask any web developer friend they can show you how.

I disagree that most people shop online because of covid, shopping was trending that way for several years before. If you look at the big stores that sell both online and b&m, the vast majority of the stuff is kept in the warehouse and not in store. Ssense, Barney's, etc. all did this. The Barney's in SF never had anything good/interesting in store so I didn't even bother going.

Even smaller stores like Notre and Independence did too. Part of the reason was they had to worry about theft. Then there are stores that are online only (I think) like Mr. Porter, Matches, End, etc. They did what Amazon did, offered free shipping and free returns to kill a lot of b&m.

Not really the main point of your post but Matches & End have stores in London!

Rookoobay

Reaction score
Be that as it may, having a good set of pictures that convey the feeling of the fabric can't compare to a throwaway line at the end of the product description.

18 east stuff sells out fast. I usually decide what I'm gonna buy before the drop through the promo pics on IG and the teasers Antonio releases on here, then on the drop day just grab the item as fast as I can before they sell out. I hardly have the time to read and consider the product description. So, me and those like me can't help but rely heavily on the pictures to provide us with the necessary information.

I get all that, I'm just talking about those specific shirts. the pics are good (you can get in pretty close to see the unevenness and looseness of the weave on either gauze piece) and they've been sitting for weeks. I could probably teach my 3yo to read that sentence in that time ?

Simulacra

Reaction score
Hey guys,

TL;DR - sized up on goreckis but not sure how to prevent them from slipping off my hips

Arguably the dumbest question here. I just got my pair of goreckis and thrilled with the fit. I obviously took the recommendation and sized up to large from my usual medium.

Now my only problem, is they keep sliding off my waist even when I pull the drawstrings. There are no beltloops. I noticed there are loops to the inner sides of the pants waist but not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.

Any tips guys?

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Given the recommendation - insistence even - that ppl size up, I'm not really sure why these clothes aren't simply designed oversized in the first place. There is a difference between an oversized pattern and wearing clothes that are too big for you. One of these differences, as illustrated above, is that your pants will fall down if they weren't designed for your waist measurements.

The other main difference comes into play on shirts and jackets. Loose clothes can look great. Dropped shoulder seams can look great. And sometimes you can even get away with slightly longer arms than usual. But oversized collars simply look terrible, like a small child wearing adult's clothing.

Most of the clothes in the Advanced thread are so huge that they probably require 3 x the cloth needed for the average 18 East garment. But I'm guessing none of the skinny models wearing them have to worry about hitching up their pants, because they were designed to fit big overall, but to fit correctly where it matters; i.e. at the waist and neck.

Having started this post by saying I'm not sure why 18 East takes this approach, I'm now going to contradict myself by offering a likely explanation: not everyone is ready for the "advanced" look. Buy some genuinely oversized pants in a size too small, and you'll simply be left with pants you can't close at the waist. So by recommending sizing up rather than making the clothes genuinely oversized, purchasers are free to choose how they wear them.

The flipside, however, is that by sizing up you risk looking like you were caught short in a public bathroom and are looking for the toilet paper in the next cubicle.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

TL;DR - sized up on goreckis but not sure how to prevent them from slipping off my hips

Arguably the dumbest question here. I just got my pair of goreckis and thrilled with the fit. I obviously took the recommendation and sized up to large from my usual medium.

Now my only problem, is they keep sliding off my waist even when I pull the drawstrings. There are no beltloops. I noticed there are loops to the inner sides of the pants waist but not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.

Any tips guys?
Unfortunately I don't think those loops are going to help; pretty sure they are designed for hanging the pants up when you are not wearing them.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any tips guys?
Are you tying the drawstrings with a knot or just pulling them tight? I don’t understand how the pants still fall down if the drawstring stays tight.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Antonio has written multiple times in the thread —helpfully and informatively, IMO—that he’d prefer to size every size 1.5x larger than they are currently sized, but that it would confuse most buyers who expect a small to fit a certain way, and he is trying to minimize returns (for, I presume, both business and environmental reasons). Hence, the near consistent recommendation to buy (and wear) 1 size larger than you typically wear clothes by most makers. I’ve found this to be pretty good advice personally. If you were to look at me, you’d say “medium”, and I have bought all large and think they fit fairly close to the proportions on the models.

If the pants are still falling on their own even after using the drawstring, I wonder if you’ve gotten 2 sizes too big. I personally put my cargos through a hot wash and dry which brought the waist in around .5 inches (but had the biggest effect of close to 2 inches on length—so be forewarned.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads